We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transport Prices?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
10 helpful votes
Airport Transport Prices?

I called the Holiday Inn in Mumbai, which is 3.6 km from the airport. They told me they could arrange it for 1000 Rupees, which came out to about $25. That is outrageous for a little over two miles. Can someone familiar with taxi costs give me an idea of how much I should pay for a taxi that far? I would walk if it wasn't going to be midnight!

11 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,846 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
1. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

For a prepaid without AC less than Rs 200, with AC maybe Rs 250. Including surcharge for 2 suitcases.

Yes you'll learn the luxury hotels have more of these markups on street prices ;-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

Wow! Thank you so much! That is quite a substantial difference! I knew something was "not right" - particularly when she tried to sell me a breakfast/transport "add on" to my existing reservation that kept fluctuating from 700 Rupees to 1000 Rupees - but finally only ended up being the transport alone that was 1000 Rupees. Was kind of amusing! I thought I would check with the trusty Trip Advisor forum family instead!

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

If it is going to be midnight, then it is better to take a radio taxi. There are 2 companies with their kiosk inside the arrival hall at Mumbai airport. These are Meru and Tab Cabs. Tab Cabs is not reliable. So go with Meru and you should be safe. Make sure that you book these taxis from inside the terminal. Don't step out for booking these taxis, since they have no counter outside the arrival hall.

You can also use the app-based taxis from Ola and Uber. They have a facilitation counter just outside the arrival hall to the left.

Both these options (radio taxis and app-based taxis) are post-paid, but they are quite reliable.

Also see this link for more details

https://csia.in/tofrom/taxi-car-rentals.aspx

Edited: 29 August 2018, 10:17
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
182 reviews
194 helpful votes
4. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

The government run prepaid taxi counter inside and outside the arrival hall will offer you both the blue & silver coloured air-conditioned as well as regular black & yellow coloured taxi cab which will cost about Rs250 for AC and Rs.200 for regular. There are other private car hire firms that also call out to passengers offering prepaid taxi (though they are not a taxi service but just private car hire firms) and charge almost the same as what the hotel charges for the same ride and are not worth taking them. The amount charged by the hotels is always much more than the regular taxi fares and may be for a slightly larger car though not always and hence are always more expensive. If you don't have very large bags then you can also take an auto rickshaw (three wheeler tuk-tuk) for even less than the taxi fare. There is a dedicated auto rickshaw queue outside the arrival hall area where you need to get to the BEST bus and auto rickshaw level. At midnight it is a bit safer to take a prepaid taxi even though it is much more than an auto rickshaw as there is a complaint facility available for that on your taxi fare receipt. Ola and Uber are also available on your mobile app but charge a fixed amount of Rs.50/- for airport entry charges besides their regular app based fare. There is a special pick up point for Ola and Uber outside the arrival hall. I would not recommend either Tab Cab or Meru Cabs because of their irregular and unreliable service.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
395 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

To add to what others have said, the distance to the Holiday Inn in Saki Naka isn't even 3.6km. There's a shorter route, down past the JW Marriott and then left, that is about 2.3km.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

1000 rupees is only $10, not $25 so it's not as bad as you thought.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
182 reviews
194 helpful votes
7. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

Most of the hotels in the Andheri East area near the airport usually have a free pick up and drop service to the airport. Rs.1000 is definitely not equal to $10 as it is about Rs.70 to 1 USD which at present rates it comes to about $14.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 10:28
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
457 posts
49 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

Hope it's Holiday Inn at DSani Naka & not the one at Juhu beach. As said in other replies most hotels inthis area have free airport pick up & drop because I have done that for my colleagues/friends who stayed in hotels of this area. There is one more hotel just say 8-10 meters away from Holiday Inn, it's name is Peninsula. They did give free pick up & drop from international & domestic airports for my guests in past. Tariff was less than Holiday Inn. Also I could bargain with them for tariff & WiFi charges. Location is the same for both the hotels.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
9. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

Hello ,

Juhu hoiday Inn since many years have been managed by Accor group and known as Novotel Juhu.

OP has refereed to the one closer to Airport Holiday Inn -Near Sakinaka Metro Station, Sakinaka Junction, Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri East, Mumbai,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Airport Transport Prices?

You are all so helpful! I did make a mistake with the original post and the exchange of $1000 rupees being $25. The hotel kept trying to upsell me hotel packages that were $1500 that included transport and I got confused when I posted this. I think I may stick with Uber since I take them here in Chicago and it's a flat rate with an option to tip. As I become "stronger" in India dealing with transport, I will explore other options. Thank you again!! Next time I get a hotel with free transport but I made an error this time.

Reply to: Airport Transport Prices?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mumbai