We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
10 helpful votes
Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Has anyone exchanged $ in the Mumbai airport? I know it's not always the best exchange rate but cash will be needed. Also, any advice on exchange places you use while traveling in India, such as major banks? I know it's a dumb question but it's been awhile since I've been overseas and done this. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
1 post
1. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

I live in India and use charge cards and automatic teller machines (ATM) all the time as it gets you the most favorable exchange rate. When you get to the airport, take 10000 rupees from an ATM. If your debit card doesn't work at bank X, it will likely work at bank Y or Z. Don't be concerned if you are denied at the first machine you try – just go to another bank machine. Every major international airport has multiple bank ATM machines. Whenever possible, use a charge card for payment and always have the transaction processed in rupees NOT in the currency of your home country. The conversion rate of your bank is much better than what the merchant will offer you. If you need more money during your trip, you will find ample ATMs wherever you go. If you want my open on banks offering the best conversion rate, please send me a private message.

If you are coming from the USA --- make sure your credit card has No foreign transaction fees otherwise you are likely to pay a 3% additional fee on all transactions. You will pay no foreign transaction fees when you use your card for purchases made outside of the United States if the card specifically has No foreign transaction fees. If you want more details, send me a private message.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
182 reviews
194 helpful votes
2. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Use the ATM's at the airport which will be better than the unfriendly rates you are offered at the airport's exchange bureaus.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Thank you! I need to call my bank and see if this is possible though.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

If using an ATM at the Mumbai Airport, how do you get 100, 200, 500, Rupee notes. 1000 Rupee notes would be tough to cash away from the Airport and are too big for tipping.

Level Contributor
2,930 posts
31 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Most likely to get 500 & 2000 notes, 1000 more no longer in circulation.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
37 helpful votes
6. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
32 reviews
25 helpful votes
7. Re: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport

I have the Charles Schwab debit card . Bank will reimburse you for any bank fee charges . SBI Atm worked for me in Chennai but not in Mumbai . It worked at another bank for me . Forgot the name but it was directly across the street . There are many ATM in Mumbai. 10k rupees seems to be the limit but you can withdraw 3 times within seconds to minutes apart . However you may get a message from the bank to confirm your activity . I only received clean and near crispy 500 rupees bill from the ATM

Reply to: Currency Exchange In Mumbai Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted