We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Mumbai to Delhi

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Hi,

We are two adults traveling around India for about three weeks. We arrive in Mumbai, planning on staying for about three days and then up north towards Delhi.

We are considering traveling from Mumbai to Delhi by train and have a couple of questions.

1. How long would it take to travel by train?

2. Has anyone who has done this - would you recommend it? Is there a "must see" stop that we should jump off at and then continue on to Delhi?

3. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion - keeping in mind we are on a budget, which is why we are not considering flying.

Thanks so much,

Nancy

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Your last point is, in 2008, probably a valid one.... but before giving up the idea of flying between the two centres, do at least check the air fares on the budget airlines at around the time you want to travel. As recently as two months ago there were air fares between these two cities that were not really more than the price of an air-conditioned berth on the train. These all seemed to disappear overnight, but I guess they can just as easily re-appear. So it wouldn't hurt to check every internal airline on the list on this site: www.attitudetravel.com/india/lowcostairlines/ There are probably one or two in there that you haven't yet heard of, as low-cost internal airlines in India really flourished about three to five years ago, and it's only now, it seems, that the bubble has burst (we did Mumbai-Delhi with Air Deccan in 2994, and all it cost was 500 rupees... but last time I looked, this price had quadrupled).

Keep your options open, as, by rail, this is actually quite a long journey... at least 24 hours. The actual length depends entirely on which train you choose.... there is often quite a marked difference between an express and a plain old mail train. You really need to play around with www.indianrail.gov.in/inet_metro_trns.html to see all the possible trains. Remember this site is day-specific, so you will need to type in several successive dates to get the full picture. The site takes a bit of getting used to, but it's worth the effort. Just glancing at it now, one of the easiest trains I can see is 1057 AMRITSAR EXPRESS which leaves from DADAR near midnight, travels one full day and two full nights, and gets to Delhi for an early breakfast on the third day. That's only one day out of your life, but you spend two nights on a train. There is another with just one night: 2137 PUNJAB MAIL leaving MUMBAI CST about 7:30 at night and getting to Delhi around 10:00 the follwing night. You will find a dozen or so other possibilities. Don't limit yourself to "sleeper class" (in fact, this is not the way to travel); ask for "all classes", and choose trains with 1AC, 2AC or 3AC carriages.

However, personally I would prefer to break up the journey, as you suggested. Where? Well, I guess there are hundreds of answers to this, so I guess the only thing for me to do is mention three places I particularly liked, and which are easily accessible from Mumbai after only a few hours (or maybe a single overnight journey where you arrive at daylight) on the train.

First the Ajanta Caves, which are reached by training to Jalgaon. Very definitely worth spending a day there. Another is Bundi, a particularly delightful city with a great fort (Rudyard Kipling wrote about it), which is reached by train to Kota. The third is Udaipur, which on most days requires a change of trains in Ahemdabad, but on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays now has a direct route(using train no 2995).

From any of these, Delhi is not such a long stretch.

Good luck!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

It is easy to find out all possible trains from and to particular stations by using this link:

trainenquiry.com/TrainsBetwImpStation.aspx

The trouble Alan is having in finding trains (having to enter dates and so on) is because he is not using this site; he is using the irctc.co.in site, which is to be ideally used only for actually booking trains.

The best train from Mumbai to Delhi is Rajdhani, these are overnight trains. Train number 2951 MUMBAI RAJDHANI leaves MUMBAI CENTRAL station at 16:40 daily and reaches NEW DELHI at 8:30 in the morning.

The best thing to do is go directly to Delhi, and then go around Northern India. From Delhi, you can easily take trains to Agra and Jaipur.

The class I usually recommend while booking a train is 2nd AC or 2AC. These come with sleeper beds.

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

If you want to do a slower trip with stops, then one possibility is that you take the Golden Temple Mail (2903). This train goes to Delhi and then on to Amritsar, but unlike the Rajdhani, it has many midway stops. One of them is Sawai Madhopur which is at the entrance of Ranthambore Tiger Sanctuary. You can happily spend two days spotting India's pride, the Bengal Tiger. I am a huge fan of Ranthambore, it is an exotic place with rugged terrain, forts and ruins amidst the jungle. There are rickshaws right outside the train station which will take you to your hotel. The hotels are just 10-15 minutes away from the station, it is a small town right at the entrance to the park.

From Ranthambore, there are trains to Bharatpur (birdlife), Jaipur, Delhi, etc.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Take a look at this map of tourist centres in India. As you can see, Mumbai is on the west coast, and you'll find Delhi in the north.

mapsofindia.com/maps/…tourist-centers.htm

Between Mumbai and Delhi, there are several places of tourist interest. You have all of Rajasthan almost straight above Mumbai (Jaipur, Ranthambore, Bharatpur are connected by train and within 3-4 hours of each other). Use the train enquiry link I pasted earlier to check for trains.

The other circuitous choice is to head eastwards and break at Ajanta/Ellora. The best station for this is Aurangabad - there are several daily trains. 7617 TAPOVAN EXPRESS leaves Mumbai at 6:10 am and gets you to Aurangabad for lunch at 1:15 p.m.. If you want an overnight train (which saves you the cost of a hotel), then 7057 DEVAGIRI EXP leaves at 9 p.m. and gets you to Aurangabad in the morning at 4:05 a.m. From Aurangabad, you can get trains to Delhi, but it is a 24-hour trip, there is an afternoon train at 13:40. Instead, you may choose to further do a meandering train journey - go to Jhansi or Gwalior, and then on to Agra.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Thank you Alan and Deepa - your responses are very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Deepa - I am planning on contacting you when we are in Mumbai to book a tour. Once we finalize our plans I'll be in touch.

Thanks again,

Nancy

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Hi, Nancy!

You're very welcome! I hope everything goes well for you.

I must say, your decision to take a tour with Deepa is a great one. While I have never met her, she has helped me immeasurably in my own planning, so I always look very carefully at comments on her tours... and everybody seems to think she is the best part of their Mumbai experience.

So you're from Brooklyn! I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge once... and had the best cheesecake I ever had in my life in a deli on the Brooklyn side. Can't remember the name of the shop, but that was such a wonderful day......Christmas 2001, and New Yorkers were so brave and so welcoming, in the face of such adversity.

Ahhh, memories!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

You're welcome, Nancy. I sent you a private message about tours.

- Deepa

Moscow
Level Contributor
209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Nancy,

I would recommend having a stop at Ahmedabad, since it is my hometown and also a good place to spend a day or two.

If not for any reason, atleast for shopping as it offers a variety of ethnic gujarat handicrafts.

There are also options available for visiting the old city ( walking tours showing the ancient part of the city which is still preserved)

Some interesting museums and temple architecture.

Also, there is Sabarmati ashram from where the Mahatma launched the final independance struggle.

The city does receive fair share of tourists and Gujarat Tourism ( check out the site) is going all out in promoting tourism. Dont get scared by bomb scares though.

It is on way to Delhi. 8 hours by train from Mumbai. You can choose either a day train or an overnighter. I would suggest a day train

Ahmedabad-delhi is 20hours.

Both the legs have FAST Train connections available

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Alan,

So glad you enjoyed NY. The Cheesecake place was most likely Junior's. Good stuff.

And thank you all for your suggestions -we will take them all into consideration. We are really excited about visiting India, so much to see/do.

Nancy

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Mumbai to Delhi

Hi, Nancy!

I think you're right... the name "Junior's" somehow rings a bell! I know it was fairly close to a subway, as we hoopped a train instead of walking back to Manhattan.

I came back onto this thread because I received an email from Spicejet Airlines not five minutes ago, offering flights between Mumbai and Delhi for 599 rupees. Cheap flights are back, maybe? Hope you check this out, as this is the kind of price Air Deccan was charging back in 2004.