We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

We doing a quick 6 hour tour of Mumbai in between landing from London and flying on to Jaipur on Sunday next.

Can someone recommend a good place for a quick Indian lunch, which is in the general Gateway of India/Mahatma Gandhi Road area. Also where exactly it is so we can find it. We will have a driver so he should know most restaurants I guess.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Khyber is good, driver will know it. Will cost about 2000 for 2 people if you eat well.

Less expensive is Delhi Durbar (Colaba Causeway) or Copper Chimney (Rampart Row).

If you want to experience the newly reopened Sea Lounge at the heritage wing of the Taj, that would be a good choice too, although expensive. They serve Bombay specialities.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

If you don't mind vegetarian food, then try the thali meal at Samrat (Churchgate)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

If you'd like to try some sea food, Trishna is recommended.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Indigo is an exceptionally good restaurant. It's at Colaba.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

I dont know if dhansak is the right thing for someone just off a plane from London but there was this great place a Parsi friend took me to just off Horniman Circle as you walk towards the Library. Also isn't there a great vegetarian place on Rampart Row next to the wonderful music shop? Havent been to Bombay so long!! Lets have a TA meet up there!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Hey, that's a wonderful idea, npjai....the only question is when???

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

We love dhansak, if anyone knows a Parsi place in the right area.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

npjai, that is Chetana, and I've stopped liking their food, not as nice as Rajdhani or Samrat, but their adjoining shop and bookstore are nice to visit so the lunch is an interesting experience.

Tim -

For dhansak, I'm going to write an essay, because my guides are Parsi and they have MAJOR VIEWS on the matter, and this is what they have told me:

1) Paradise in Colaba is the best (but they are closed right now and will open on the 1st). They serve dhansak on Wednesdays and Saturdays - Wednesdays is mutton dhansak and Saturdays is chicken dhansak.

2) Ideal Cafe near Residency Hotel Fort is another good option. They are cozy - I have eaten here with my Parsi friends regularly (sigh, those were the days). They ate dhansak and I ate vegetarian stuff :D

To get to Ideal, you look for the Citibank just past Victoria Terminus, and you turn left just before it.

3) Tea Centre is Churchgate would be a good option as well. They have lovely ambience, and old fashioned little bells on the table which you use to ring for service. The menu has dhansak on it, and also several other regular dishes. Prices are reasonable. There is a great selection of teas. The dhansak is ok, but overall, this place is a good choice to relax in old world charm and pleasant service.

4) Swati Snacks in Tardeo - that legendary paradise for all things Gujarati - has vegetarian dhansak. The charm of Swati is that you can eat all sorts of Bombay specialities here - all vegetarian, and absolutely delish. Their signature dish is a panki, see this:

…blogspot.com/2007/12/panki-whats-that.html

5) Brittania is a haven for Parsi food, but they don't serve dhansak every day. You'll get their trademark berry pulao, salli boti, patra ni macchhi and so on.

6) Mocambo in Fort is yet another option for Parsi food - and they have an alcohol license and an old fashioned pleasant hospitality. I think dhansak is served everyday, and the food is very good, and you can wash it down with beer. They are near Bombay Store, very easy to get to, the drivers know it.

There are more Parsi places as well, if you want a longer list, but this should do I guess!

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Also this article - time.com/time/…00.html

It mentions Jimmy Boy near Horniman Circle...maybe thats where I went.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Place for Quick Lunch on a Sunday

Cafe Britannia is closed on Sundays, so that can be ruled out.