We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Juhu Beach and Woman...

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Juhu Beach and Woman...

Odd question but I saw this on You-tube so I am confused...

Are woman not aloud on Juhu Beach? I am under the impression that woman have to stay at their hotel and use the pool there.

Is it OK for a solo female to go to Juhu to have street food if dressed properly.... (Jeans and long sleeved top or traditional Indian clothing?)

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

If you are staying in the Fort area, the Girgaum Chowpatty or simply Chowpatty is the nearer and bigger beach for you. Women are allowed to go, but the beaches in Mumbai are really not fit for swimming. (I assume you wish to swim since you mentioned using the pool). You will not find people sunbathing here either. The beach is fairly deserted during the day. It is currently very warm and humid in Mumbai. The best time to visit Chowpatty would be after 7.30 pm on a Saturday or Sunday when crowds congregate there and there is a fairground kind of atmosphere.

Street food - any particular reason to go all the way to Juhu? You could try a safer version of many of the popular Mumbai snacks and street kind of food at Kailash Parbat Hindu Hotel (it is a restaurant) in Colaba, which is quite close to Fort.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

Also, long sleeved tops are good for sun protection, but else sleeveless or short sleeves are fine for most of Mumbai and as for trousers, longish shorts or three-quarter length trousers are fine too. Keep the neckline reasonably modest. You may wish for slightly better coverage at religious places as a mark of respect, although I have seen tourists visiting temples in very shorts and strappy tops. However, when you consider that there are Jain women who walk to temple barefoot, wearing saris and with heads covered, the short shorts and strappy tops do look rather disrespectful.

3. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 15:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

RuffMumbai,

Ya, I get it now. Thank-you for explaining.

...And thanks for the tips on where to eat.

Mumbai (Bombay...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

It is absolute safe to walk in Juhu

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

You are welcome, HT. Hope you have a good trip and do post a report after your trip.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

Juhu beach or any other beach in Mumbai is not worth visiting for swimming as the water is really very dirty and I would not advise you get in at all!!! If you wish to get into the water you will need to go to some other places near Mumbai like Murud or Nagaon near Alibag on the mainland where the water is much cleaner. Some of the beaches in north Mumbai like Aksa, etc. are not safe so please don't venture out there for a swim.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

8. Re: Juhu Beach and Woman...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:19