We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

Are there any street food stalls around Fort or Colaba other than Chowpatty Beach?

I am usually not shy of street food. I don't know what the usual and favorite snacks are? Any recommendations on what to try? I like mild spice (by Indian standards)

(The only food that I know is pakora - love it! And butter chicken and of course samaosas.)

I am also going to eat at Kailash Parbat Hindu Hotel restaurant in Colaba. ...Don't have a clue what to order?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

You can try only cheeze tost sandwich from Ram bharose it`s on Bazar gate road at Fort,can try Ghee rice at Bombay restaurant in Fort.

there is Foodies also it`s hygenig place to eat you can try Bhel puri .

My all time favourate PAV Bhaji.

Try to avoid sliced fruits from the street.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

Fort area is the original commercial and administrative area of Mumbai from the days of the Raj. Hence, you can find any number of street food stalls. However, please do have a good look at how the vendor operates - especially the water used and the cleaning, before deciding to sample his wares. When you are here, you will notice that there is a paucity of good public toilets in the city. This has a bearing on hygiene of street vendors. Unfortunate, but true.

There is a very famous night-time street food stall on Tulloch Road, off Colaba Causeway. It is called Bademiya. Ask for Bademiya on Colaba Causeway and you will be given directions. It starts operating at about 7 pm, I think, but really comes to life after 10pm on weekends. It is really an amazing place to be at. The entire operation is rather surreal. You will understand when you see it. Have the mutton sheekh kebab or their chikken tikka rolls ( I hope I have got that right). Their baida rotis are famous and I love those on a good day. Since the whole place operates at super fast speed and all the ingredients are chucked in rather blindly, salt and spice levels can vary hugely from one visit to the next. I suggest you carry your own water, although some people may call me a wimp. I think you can buy bottled water there. I avoid the chutneys entirely.

On Colaba Causeway, there is a store near Theobroma Bakery, a few stores away from Thomas Cook, on the same side of the road called Aga, I think. They sell Tibbs frankies there, in addition to some other snacks. Tibbs frankies is again quite popular. Very greasy.

At Kala Ghoda, on Forbes Street, (leading in from the music store called Rhythm House), there is a place called Ayub's, similar to Bademiya, where you get chicken rolls or chicken kebabs.

Vada pav seems to be the most popular snack in Mumbai. I am not a fan of vada pav, so I hope someone else can help with the best places in the Fort - Colaba areas to get vada pav.

Let me post this before I lose it, then onto Kailash Parbat.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

At Kailash Parbat, their pani puris are famous. The pani, or watery sauce can be rather spicy. Then there is the dahi bhalla chaat. Again, I hope I have the name right. Ask for dahi puri or dahi paapdi chaat and see what they suggest. You have ragda pattice - cutlets of potato and curried chickpeas. They might have pav bhaji there. I have not checked. I feel sure that they have samosas too there. I am not sure, but I think that they have khastha kachori too. I think that Sandysurve is the expert on KP and I hope that she can give inputs. Try sending her a PM.

If you do not get samosas at KP, you will definitely get them at Punjabi Chandu Halwai, a bit futher down from KP, on the same side of the road. You should try their jalebis (a sweet). if you do not like sticky, syrupy sweets, avoid this.

If you like butter chicken, then I am sure you will like the food at Cafe Britannia - it is Parsi food. I have done a review of the place. It is so conveniently close to your hotel - within easy walking distance. Who knows - I may be having lunch there at the same time :)

4. Re: Street Food Stalls - What to Eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 05:19