We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different flavored paan...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Different flavored paan...

I know paan is an after dinner refresher. I don't smoke and I do not like chewing tobacco.

I saw a video on YouTube with a tourist female having paan made. She was having mango in the paan. Can paan be made special request without the tobacco and liquid tobacco?

Does it smell like shampoo? Is there somewhere near the stall to spit it out?

I know it is not to be swallowed. ugh! It doesn't sound very lady-like. I do want to try things from a different culture.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,382 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different flavored paan...

You can customise Paan to just the way you like it. I do not like pan with tobacco either, its just one of the many options you can skip at your wish. And you do swallow the paan, its just the beetlenut juice that is spat out. You can avoid the bettlenut too if you want. Just tell them you want a simple "mitha" Benarasi paan without "zarda" (tobacco). Don't be afraid to try it, its fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different flavored paan...

Thanks! What's in a simple "mitha" Benarasi paan without "zarda" (tobacco). Is there mango in this one?

Do you know where there's a good paan wallah (street stall) not too far away from Calaba? I can have a tour guide take me there but I need to know where.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 05:59
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different flavored paan...

There is a paanwallah just outside Khyber restaurant at Kala Ghoda, it is near Prince of Wales Museum in Colaba (opposite Jehangir Art Gallery). Easy to find, everyone knows Khyber restaurant.

The most famous paanwallah of Mumbai is Mucchad Paanwalla at Breach Candy which is a 15 min taxi ride from Colaba. See photos here: mucchad.blogspot.com/2008/01/blog-post.html

Deepa

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different flavored paan...

How much get there by taxi?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,382 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different flavored paan...

Benarasi pan does not have Mango inside. Its mainly a minty mix with a sweet syrup-ish thing added to it. I have never had pan with Mango, not sure if they will go well together. Its not in the normal pan as we Indians take it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different flavored paan...

I don't want beetlenut juice either... If I ask for

"mitha" Benarasi paan without "zarda" (tobacco)

(1) Does that also mean without beetlenut juice?

(2) What is another paan that really taste good other than the above?

Edited: 24 May 2011, 14:49
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,382 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different flavored paan...

No, you have to specify no Zarda as well as no bettlenut juice. I don't know the exact hindi word for it, perhaps someone else can help out. The Benarasi style paan is the best there is in my opinion. The basic pan leaf is the same, its the condiments inside that differ from region to region.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different flavored paan...

Tell the paan vendor to make it a Meetha paan with NO Chuna, NO Katha, NO Supari and NO Zarda. These are the four things to avoid if you want a safe and sweet paan!!! Some paan shops at Breach Candy have a cold paan kept in the fridge or ice with a cherry on the top or dipped in a sugary flavoured syrup.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different flavored paan...

At Colaba just next to Delhi Durbar and Majestic Cafe there are a couple of paan vendors with multi-coloured decorated paans on display outside the shop but tell what I mentioned in the earlier post so that you are sure there is none of the four things I mentioned earlier. You will not need to spit out anything if you eat it without these four things in the paan. Even then if you wish to spit it out (in case you don't like the taste) there is a spittoon or waste basket just outside each shop where you can spit it out safely!!!

Cheers,

Aadil.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different flavored paan...

I should state for the record here that I hate paan :)

It makes me sick to the stomach.

Deepa