We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Topic
Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Are Duty Free Shops at Mumbai international airport open 24/7 on arrival. I will be arriving at 4.00 AM early morning and want to pick up some liquor or do I pick up from Hong Kong on transit.

Pune,India
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

thanks sandy...

I just forgot to mention there I was asking about duty free shopping on arrival.

so is this after clearing customs or before that.

and also if i want to buy the spirits what is the limit?

cos I am not sure if I ll be able to buy at dubai.

if I buy there again can I buy here?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Hi Pradeep,

As I said in my previous post, the duty free shopping is after customs.

And, AFAIK, there are no limits to how much alcohol you can buy.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Sandy S,... Duty free on arrivals is before clearing customs, between immigartion & baggage arrival & retrival, you then clear customs, and whilst you can buy what you want the limit for bringing tax free alcohol in India is 2 litres of strong liquior. You may be charged duty for any excess.

Duty free on exit is after clearing customs, and again you can purchased what ever you want subjuct to the country you are flying to, and what you can carry.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Duty Free in Dubia is slightly cheaper than Duty Free arrivals at Mumbai, ( for example. A Bottle Johnnie Walker black label is $2 a bottle cheaper in Dubia, other spirits are about the same).

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Hello AFAIK,

You can bring in 2 liters of alcohol as duty free per passport into India. The rest will attract custom duties.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

@Sandy, at arrivals, duty-free is before customs and whatever you buy there is subject to the overall limits of the quantities that are permitted to be brought in free of duty. There are no limits to what you can buy but you will pay duty on the excess quantities.

This would be refundant if the duty-free was after customs.

Naturally, at departures, duty-free is after customs and immigration. You are 'technically' beyond Indian territory after you clear immigration and you will then be subject to customs regulations of the destination country when you land.

Edited: 16 November 2012, 03:06
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

In the second para in my previous post, read 'redundant' instead of 'refundant'.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

Whoops....I seem to be having a memory loss here, because I still cannot place the Duty Free shops where you say they are. Anyways, I am really sorry for the wrong info I have posted and I am thankful to both goahappydays and MumbaiResident for coming in and correcting me. Btw, I have been fighting with my OH too since yesterday about this, he seems to agree with the both of you...:)

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

sandy S LOL..... glad your O/H has a good recall. You actualy walk through the middle of the shop, but most people don't notice it as they rush to collect their baggage.

Edited: 16 November 2012, 04:56
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Duty Free Shops at Mumbai (Bombay) International Airport

It happens to the best of us Sandy :). Your information is otherwise always so detailed and perfect.

Never a good idea to fight with OH, particularly when he's right!