We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Hello,

I was un Mumbai early 2010 for about 1.5 day. I will have another 2 days in Mumbai. In which neighborhoods should I stay?

I have stayed at the Taj Mahal last time and liked the neighborhood. Could stay there again or somewhere else. Into nice cafés, restaurants, but also street life.

Taj could be an option but other areas as well. As long as it's not isolated. I would hate to be ``stuck`` in a hotel and have to take taxi for anything. Although I will be spending some time by the pool, probably.

Thanks

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

If you want a pool, then right away you are looking at high end hotels. Taj Land's End does not have street life at its doorstep, but if you can take a taxi, then Bandra is a very interesting place to be at.

I will let someone else who knows more about Juhu evaluate Marriott for you. Perhaps others can elaborate on Bandra further.

You could try a Marine Drive hotels like Intercontinental or The Oberoi. Please check the reviews. These are on Marine Drive and you can take a walk along Marine Drive and do people watching there too. Once again, you could have a look at the reviews of Marine Drive as well as do a search in the forum here. I have talked about Marine Drive before. Ignore the comments about smell of sewage. It is only at one particular point and you pass it quickly when walking. From these hotels, you can walk to the Churchgate restaurants and cafes and take a short taxi ride (easiest thing in Mumbai) to Colaba for the buzz of Colaba Causeway.

Else it is The Taj Mahal. You have stayed there and would know all about it.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Here is a thread where I have talked about Marine Drive:

tripadvisor.in/…38253927

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

J.W. Mariott would be a great option. Its right on Juhu beach and there are loads of dining and shopping options within walking distance. Bandra would be just 10-15 minutes drive away too. And since you've already stayed in South Mumbai, its a good idea to stay in the suburbs and get a feel of them as well.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

I stayed in JW Marriott befote but only one night. Didn't explore the neighborhood but got the impression that it was isolated. But I am open tom reconsider.

Between Colaba, Bandra and others, which would you recommend?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

I like Bandra, I really do. Given half a chance, I would live there, but sadly that is not to be. I like the buzz of the place. It has quiet bits and hectic bits and it all seems to seamlessly flow into each other. This is just my opinion. These things are so subjective.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

I like Bandra too. But, the problem is that there aren't many good hotels in the area. Taj Lands End is probably the only option but then I would say its in a relatively isolated area....

spartac,

JW is not in an isolated area, in fact the area around is buzzing with activity throughout the day.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

We stayed at the Marriotts and it looks as though there isn't much outside but if you walk 5 minutes you'll find bars and restaurants.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Thanks guys, How about the Sofitel? It is brand new, looks nice, is located right next to Trident Bandra.

Is it a better location that the Marriott?

Thanks

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Sofitel is in the business district. Its completely cut off. Nothing to do around in the area. Marriott gives you the option to explore the neighborhood with lots of options to eat / shop etc. Sofitel is targeted primarily towards business travelers.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 12:55
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming back: which neighborhood/hotel to stay at

Sofitel is in the middle of nowhere! Stay away unless you have business in that location or if you plan to hire a chauffered car full time.

If you have stayed in South Mumbai previously and do not care to do the usual touristy stuff, Bandra (West) would be a good option. It is the party place in town. However, Taj Land's End is probably the only option there in that segment, but you will need cabs (three-wheelers are more common in that part of town) to get to the right parts of Bandra.

If, on the other hand, you want to stay in South Mumbai again, try the Intercontinental, Marine Drive for a change since you've alreadty done the Taj Mahal/Colaba bit. It is within walking distance to some places and short cab rides to other locations of interest in South Mumbai.

I personally do not care for the location of the JW Marriott. All that there is in the vicinity are some restaurants and the seriously overcrowded Juhu Beach.