We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Sawtell, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

We will be in Mumbai (Colaba area) for four days in early May and then Goa for three days. As I want to get a suit made, which place would be the best for quality and value.

Thanks

Rob

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Try Raymonds, That is the best brand for suits. You get really wide range in prices and colours and designs. They have cloth as well as readymade suits too. They have tailors ready to stitch it for you in the showroom itself.

Raymonds have showrooms in Colaba area too.

Raymonds have showrooms in Goa also.

Kindly try this link : http://www.raymondindia.com/off_retl_trs.asp

Sanjiv

Disclaimer : I am not any way connected with the company nor I am a shareholder of this company but I am their faithful customer for last 40 years.

Sawtell, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Thanks for that Sanjiv. I will follow up on your recommendation

Rob

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Probably Mumbai, there are plenty of tailor shops around Colaba/Marine Drive, where you can get your suit made within 2-3 days. In terms of quality, you'll find a wide variety of fabrics that are priced accordingly.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

I'm not in completete agreement with Sanjiv. My husband got trousers stitched with Raymond, took them a month (!) to deliver it (because it seems they have their workshops only in Banglore) and then another few days to alter it. We arent happy with the tailoring either. I would recommend Raymond's readymade suits but not their made-to-order stuff.

As such, I am not sure if anyone can make a suit in 4 days and do justice to it. I would recommend that you look at buying readymade suits. I seem to remember that this topic has been discussed before on the forum. If you give a search for 'men's suits' you should be able to rake it up...

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Burlington's @ TAJ Hotel is one of my favorites, excellent service and fabrics.

The guys really there really know the latest trends and if you have something in mind they would make sure to perfect every little detail.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

But benii, would they do a good job if they need to deliver the suit in 3-4 days?

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

I guess you're right - they will take their time. But it just depends on what OP has in mind. What do you suggest as i too might need a suit quick when i'm in Mumbai this summer.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 08:38
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

My hubby has given up on getting a good suit in Mumbai. The ready to wear range is stocked according to standard Indian size - even among some of the foreign labels. We have not tried E-whatever Zegna.

Have not been happy with tailored stuff - it is a dying art. I have previously recommended Elegant, but the lining is of poor material, as we have found out after some wear.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

Benii, if you are happy with Burlington's, then why are you looking elsewhere?

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mumbai or Goa for a new suit

It's actually for my older/wiser friends, that really want those Nehru jackets.

It would've been easier for me to get them the designer ones (Bombay Electric) but with age some of them just don't keep fit.

I'll look around but if I can't find anything good, will just go for Burlington's and pick them up while returning home.