We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Hello Bombay Forum

Thanks to Kingfisher having reduced their domestic flight schedule, my BA flight (and their domestic flight contractor's airline partners, if I am to believe the guff they are are spouting) now arrives just as the only KF flight to GOI departs. Short of changing my outbound flight from LHR to a daytime BA flight (I can't do this as I'll be at work that day) or booking my own connecting flight separately, it looks like a day in Bombay until the next KF flight. I am going to see if they will let me have 2 days in Bombay as, despite many visits to South Goa, Kerala, and 'up notrth', I have only ever set foot in the airport at Bombay previously. Sooooo, it may be time to party (well, the middle aged female equivalent which will involve shopping, good restaurants, and nice pool sunbathing, a bit of gentle sightseeing but not at the expense of spending hours in a traffic jam).

Suggestions please, if you can assist for well located hotel with a really sunny pool (no shade or I turn into a monster, remember I live in North Europe and it will be cold dark winter there in December so I need full sunshine!!). Hotel to be easy reach of airport so I do not have to sit in traffic jams there and back. I need to go to Anokhi, HiDesign, possibly FabIndia so would like to be within easy distance of them (and similar type shops - I need to feed my HiDesign addiction and their shop in Panjim is quite small, also almost 2 hours drive from Patnem where I stay in Goa. The wonderful Anokhi has not reached sleepy Goa - they are also good at posting the bedlinens back to the UK too so no need for me to schlep anything). Any committed shoppers out there who love good textiles too, please give me any recommendations for similar type shops and I will love you forever!

I like a nice bar too and good restaurants; not in the slightest bit shy about going anywhere on my own, so any really smart hotel bars with sweeping ocean views and die for views will be appreciated. Or indeed any good ocean view restaurants or bars where I can soak up some of Bombay's highlife?

Come on Sandy S, Gatheringnomoss, Deepa and the rest of your Bombay cohorts. Bring on those recommendations. A hotel that doesn't bust the budget would be helpful, but the sunny pool with a sundeck is a non-negotiable.

Greetings from a showery cool, supposedly summer, morning in London, from my bijou corner of the city, overlooking the Olympic Stadium.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Hello londonraffeles1

Follow this link : tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g304554-Mumbai_Bombay…

Here good hotels with Terrace pools

1) The Oberoi- Nariman Point.2)The Trident- Nariman Point(approx .35Kmsnear to city center,3) The Taj Land's End -Bandra ( approx.15Kms airport )Closer to Fab India,Anokhi stores near Khar-Bandra shopping area.4)J.W.Marriott-Juhu closer to airport yet on other side so travel time from airport to hotel atleast an hour. Again have access to shop like Anokhi,Fab India on the Juhu Road.

As to Bar will Suggest The Dome at the Intercontinental Marine Drive spectacular view of the sea and on there roof-top. The Aer Bar at The Four Season's E. Moses Road again Spectacular view of the sea,city and the race course.Highly recommended.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Hello again

The Four Season's at Worli also has open deck swimming pool but the outside environment of the area where the hotel is is not very pleasant so have not included in my earlier list.

You can visit the Hide Design store at The Palladium Mumbai the new luxury Mall close by to The Aer Pub at The Four Season's Worli. So visit on your way to Pub or visit and soak up at the Pub.

The Dome & The Aer both highly recommended.

Then there is a revolving restaurant and bar at The RoofTop.of The Ambassador Churchgate where you can sit and have 360degree view of the city.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Hello Again

View this link for the photograph of The Aer Bar

www.fourseasons.com/mumbai/photo_and_video/# photo # 14

The Intercontinental at Marine Drive also has rooftop swimming pool and may suit your budget.& Restaurant Dome: Award winning internationally acclaimed Terrace Skybar

ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/loc…

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Greetings from a (slightly) wet, overcast, humid, but better-weather-than-summer Mumbai!

December is a great time to be in Mumbai and its great that you've decide to experience Mumbai this time...Let me try to answer some of your questions, point-wise:

1. First off, I feel you should avoid KF. Its having major problems, as you may have heard, and its very unreliable. You may reach the airport to find that your flight has been cancelled altogether without any notice to you. Happened just last week. So, even if you have to do it yourself, do book on another airline. Any other airline will do fine like Jet, Spicejet, Indigo etc. (Avoid Air India too)

2. Hotel: Near to the airport is not recommended as there's very less to see and do close to the airport. Since this is your first time in Mumbai, I'd advice you to stay in South Mumbai. Now, the problem is that you'll get a great pool only in 5 star hotels and these hotels are pricey. Vivanta by Taj maybe cheaper than the others though so you can have a look at that one:

vivantabytaj.com/president-mumbai/overview.h…

3. Shopping: The Kalaghoda area in South Mumbai has shops like FabIndia, Westside etc. where you can get some shopping done. Anokhi has a store in S. Mumbai http://www.anokhi.com/anokhi/our-shops.html . I cant guide you about it since I dont know the area much but I'm sure someone else will.

Hope this helps you a wee till others get on here...

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

I will keep adding here as and when I remember things.

Upon reading your post again, saw that you dont want to travel too far from the airport. But, as I said before, you can not stay near the airport. So, do prepare yourself for two long journeys of around 1-1/2 hours, one while going to the hotel and the second in the opposite direction. It wont be too bad I promise and you can see these as an opportunity to either sleep or watch street-side happenings of Mumbai! :)

Also, staying in South Mumbai will be to your advantage as most everything will be either walking distance or a short cab ride away.

Aside: I was in London in May and I have fallen in love with your city! Waiting to get back some time.....I saw the Queen too!!

Edited: 07 July 2012, 12:41
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Hello Again,

While giving you the list of hotel &bar I just missed out the most patronage

The Sea Lounge at the The Taj Hotel & Palace ,(Gateway Of India)

The Samarkand at The Trident (Nariman Point).

Can spent hours eating,sipping viewing.

The olden years restaurants where you can soak up some of Bombay's highlife.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 12:53
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

If you want a pool and you want a bar and some shopping and wish to reach the sights, then Hotel Intercontinental woud be the best choice for you. Anokhi is fairly close - 5 minutes by cab. If you settle on this, I can give precise directions closer to the time.

There is an excellent Hidesign store in the CR2 Mall (Inox). Fabinidia is in Kalaghoda as mentioned by Sandy - 7 minutes away.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

I will have to dig up my posts on the charms of a hotel on Marine Drive. Unfortunately, by the time you arrive, I may not be walking on Marine Drive of a morning or evening any longer.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

Ooooh, Londonraffles, you are woman after my own heart :) Other charms of being in Intercontinental, close to Nariman Point - there is a shopping complex in the Oberoi Hotel, where there is a lovely store called Shahenaz, with the most marvellous cotton bedlinen. You also get wonderful shawls and stoles in the same shopping centre. There is also a store called Christina, where you will get great tunics, shirts and silk evening purses. In addition, the second best pastry shop in S. Mumbai is in the Oberoi, in the shopping centre.

Now, if you like Hidesign, you, like me will love Adamis - Rasulbhai Adamji on Colaba Causeway. Great leather in fabulous Italianate designs and more reasonable. The Alitalia girls used to shop there.

Go for it, ma'am!!!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible 48 hours transit in Bombay en route to Goa December

I now have to leave for dinner at a new restaurant in town - so, regretfully have to fly. It is fancy, so I cannot simply roll off the couch and roll in there, or I might have given this thread some more attention now :(