We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Hi folks, we're visiting India (Goa) for the first time in November having a 24 hour stop in Mumbai before heading back to Sunny Scotland!

We're staying the night in the Taj Mahal Palace, we arrive early mornng, around 9am, the Taj will hold our luggage until check-in at 2pm.

If you had 24 hours in Mumbai, what would you do? Where would you eat? what woud you see?

thanks!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

You have three options for breakfast after you give the luggage in. (i) Head to the Sea Lounge on the 1st floor and get a sea-facing table, (ii) go to Indigo Deli close by for probably among the best Eggs Benedicts you will eat anywhere.(iii) go to Le Pain Quotidien opposite if golden waffles and honey do the trick for you.

For the rest of the day, for one of us to suggest an itinerary, do tell us first what your interests ae. Do you want to see the heritage part of Mumbai, do shopping for ethnic stuff or is there something else you have in mind.

Lunch suggestions would depend on ths because it would then fit in with where in the city you are.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 03:39
2. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 July 2012, 08:35
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Hi pr0fumo

Some ideas on what to see/do here:

tripadvisor.in/Travel_Guide-g304554-Mumbai_B…

Please go through it. But as MR said, if we knew more about what interests you, we could guide you better.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 08:16
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

While we await your key interests - for the evening I would suggest you take a walk along the Marine Drive (1-2km away from Taj) and follow that up with dinner at one of the many places in that area. Its a very nice place for a good evening.

Surbiton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Ooh lovely hotel to stay in! I've just come back from a trip to India and spent a couple of days in Mumbai – I recommend getting a map from your hotel and then spending the day walking around the sights - we started at the Gateway of India (right by your hotel) and walked up MG Road past Royal Bombay Yacht Club, Maharashtra Police station, Prince of Wales Museum (worth going in), the Jehangir Art Gallery and stopped off at a delicious restaurant called Copper Chimney on K Dubash Marg for lunch.

We had our fortunes told by the hilarious palm reader by the museum and browsed the street sellers stalls for artwork and other bits! Continue wandering up MG Road past the amazing buildings of the David Sassoon Library, the High Court and University (possibly catching some cricket on the Oval Maidan). Further up the road is the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (station) which is also worth seeing (unless you don’t like crowds of people!!)

All these are within walking distance – and you can pop into the shops/cafes along the way. We grabbed a copy of Time Out magazine and managed to find an Indian Classical Dance/Music performance that was taking place nearby for something a bit different and headed over to that for the evening! There is SO much going on in Mumbai, you will find plenty to keep yourselves occupied for 24 hours!

If you have time there are plenty of mosques and temples to see and also the Hanging Gardens past Chowpatty Beach if you fancy a bit of peace and quiet! To save time - worth getting a taxi to take to the Hanging Gardens (it's a bit of a walk from your hotel in the opposite direction the other sites) and you could also ask them to take you to see Dhobi Ghat and the Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 17:27
California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

If I was in your place... Things I would do...

1. Find a place that does excellent pancakes, waffles and most importantly coffee, so i would most likely head towards Indigo Deli.

2. Will buy two Red Bulls and keep myself going as the check-in isn't until 2pm

3. Finally find a cabbie to show me around the famous tourist attractions, that should easily help kill some time, probably end the sightseeing tour with a lunch at Khyber Restaurant < famous for it's North Indian Cuisine.

4. Get back, relax... by 7pm head out for the famous bazaars which are located nearby. Would definitely recommend stopping by 'Bade Miya' to grab a bite of their famous Tandoori Chicken & Kebabs.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Must Visit : Marine drive and Elephanta caves.

Must eat : Pav bhaji at Sukh Sagar.

Simple !

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Hi, I'm so sorry if I seemed ignorant, i requested alerts when people replied to this thead and got none so I came back to try and bump it up a bit. We'd like to soak up as much of the city as possible , museums and bazaars are very much on our list, as are places to eat. Thanks for the suggestions so far, we can't wait! X

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

I might add, we would probably like to eat local fayre. Eggs benedict I can have at home, I want to eat what the locals would have do breakfast (lunch and dinner!!) I'd like to maybe take some souvenirs home too, my parents stayed in the taj with my siblings in the late 70s before I was born and I would love to take something home for mummy!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours in Mumbai- what to see, where to eat?

Well, I am a local and I usually eat eggs for breakfast. We don't have 'curry' in the morning. Someone else will be able to help for 'local' breakfast, hopefully.