We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Mumbai for an evening

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
In Mumbai for an evening

Hi. I am travelling from kathmandu to London via Mumbai. I will land in Mumbai at 5.30pm and leave at 2.30am. I would like to make the most of the short time I have and see some of the city. I contacted Mumbai moments, but they are charging me $175 and will not lower cost. Ridiculously expensive, so, that's out of the question. Mumbai magic don't do tours that late and in fact I was recommended to stay in the airport as by the time I get out of the airport I will be in rush hour and downtown is at least an hour and a half away. However, I'm thinking if I get a taxi and driver to take me around I could still see something, even If I don't get downtown till 8pm and need to leave at 10/11pm to get back to airport in time. Does anyone else agree? Can anyone recommend a taxi company and give me an idea of cost? I'm a female travelling alone, so security is important to me. Thank you very much. (Apologies for length of post).

Level Contributor
15 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

Hi, the airport is quite far from central Mumbai and traffic is hectic. You can get a prepaid taxi from the airport at a set rate. Maybe take a drive along Marine Drive.

Level Contributor
15 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

Hi, the airport is quite far from central Mumbai and traffic is hectic. You can get a prepaid taxi from the airport at a set rate. Maybe take a drive along Marine Drive.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

Hi,

There's no need to stay at the airport. By all means, hire a car and go to ISKCON temple in Juhu and later have excellent sea-food dinner at Mahesh Lunch Home also in Juhu, before you get back to the airport. You won't want to risk going downtown though unfortunately.

I do know one person who you could possibly hire a car from. But, I'm not taking any guarantees about him. Still if you are interested let me know and I will pm you the contact details.

I'm sure you know, though, that you require to get your visa for India sorted if you want to come out of the airport in Mumbai?

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

Hello

The stopover in between flights can be utilize to go and visit the Juhu beach and have a stroll for a while,& also visit the Isckon temple at Juhu. If you do not have heavy luggage.& your flight arrives on time.As you can cover this places by hiring a taxi and well within 4.5 hrs to return back to the airport by 11--30 pm. max.

Going to South Mumbai would be not advisable as it would be peak hours during evening rush hours & you will be held up in traffic at times.But if you can manage to leave the airport by 6-00pm.you have 5.5 hrs before you reach for your next flight & if it happens to be Sunday or some local holiday you can make it to the city center and have panoramic tour of the Mumbai city as the traffic would not be that bad on such day.

Also if you arrive on time and make use of the sealink both ways there are chances you can make it to the City center for a panoramic tour but it will depend on arrival time and your inquiring of traffic condition with some local people on arrival at airport. The best would be your taxi driver or some few taxi drivers at the airport for their help on traffic condition towards south Mumbai and decide your route either to Juhu or city center.

There could be a possibility of a taxi with a lady taxi driver & or lady guide .So can feel safe to move around as you being a single lady travelling. So look for hiring one with a lady.

The rates by the company you referred in your post are on higher side.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 15:55
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

Thanks very much for your comments. I didn't know about Juhu or Marine Drive. It is a Sunday that i arrive, so i think i might just ask a taxi driver what he thinks of traffic when i arrive. Who knows? The flight might even be delayed and I won't have much time anyway??? I'll see how it goes on the day. Yes, i knew about the visa. I'm trying to sort that out.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
113 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

You can maybe google "mumbai sightseeing" and get in touch with other agents

7. Re: In Mumbai for an evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:18