We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Hi All,

We will be coming to Mumbai on 27th December, arriving 9.40am. Out hotel check in at ITC Grand Central is not until lunch time so I am thinking it might make since to take a car for 4 hours and do a bit of a driving tour on my way to the hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions of good sights to see for the car between the airport and my hotel?

Thanks!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

It will depend on your taste but you can visit St. Michel's Church in Bandra/Mahim, Take a stop at Dadar station and look at the rush in the local trains, Visit Siddhi Vinayak Temple called the Lord (Sethji) of Mumbai, or if not interested in Temple and Dadar Station rush, you can enjoy Sea Link while driving to the Hotel.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Hello RobAdair1985,

You can go to Juhu Beach, Isckon Temple at Juhu, drive past Khar danda / Carter road to Bandra band stand ,visit the Siddhi Vinayak temple before check-in at ITC Grand Central at Parel.All the places are enroute from airport to your hotel.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

That all sounds great, how much time should I estimate (and therefore hour a car for) for that trip?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Driving straight will be one and half hour approx can be little less and more than little more time ddepending on the traffic, as you will be moving in the direction of office traffic. Rest will be time you spend to the locations you choose to visit.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

RobAdair,

If you are coming into Mumbai on an International flight, I'd suggest that you drive straight to your hotel. If your flight lands at 9.40, it'll be at least 10.40 by the time you are able to leave the airport. And it'll take you about an hour to reach your hotel. So you'd not reach before 12 noon and if that's your check in time, you are sorted. Else, you coud request an early check in and in all probability the hotel would oblige. If they don't, simply have lunch at the hotel and wait to be checked in.

However, if you are in no hurry to check in, you can look at going with the above ideas.

Whatever you do, please do ask your cabbie to take the sea link route to your hotel, that'll cost you Rs. 55 extra but it'll be worth it.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 17:12
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Hello RobAdair1985,

After coming out from the airport head to Isckon Temple at Juhu, (time 15/20mins) , than go to Juhu Beach ( 20mins if alighting ),drive pass Khar Danda/ Carter Road, to Bandra Bandstand another 15/20 mins you can visit Castella de Aguada the ruins of the Bandra Fort to the extreme end and have a view of the sea and even the sea link.Than had to Basilica of Mount Mary or Mount Mary Church 15/20 mins.Than had to Siddhi Vinayak temple another 20/30mins.and the remaining 75mins drive time covering the places so an estimated in all 4hrs. would be ideal to hire a car.

Although Sea -Link is good drive I will suggest to use the same later or when you return back to airport.As to reach ITC Grand Central at Parel after alighting at Worli Sea Face on the other end of Sea Link you will have to pass amid the traffic and may take up more than 30mins.so put use to sea link defeats the time saving.(had you were opting for South Mumbai there would be time saving.)Further if you plan to go to places en-route airport and going to Siddhi Vinayak Temple it would be no good to use the sea -link as you will have to head in the other direction after alighting the sea- link. So best is to use the normal route to Siddhi Vinayak from Bandra Bandstand or just from Mahim Causeway to Parel if heading straight from airport and not planing to visit Siddhi Vinayak.or any of the places.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Hello RobAdair1985,

Addendum to # 6

If you plan to visit any of the places suggested by Shweta_Surekha en-route airport to your hotel. You will not be able to put to use the Sea-link as it does not fall under her suggested place routing. So need to use the normal route to cover all places of her suggestion.If you are not planning any places en-route and want to spend some extra 30 mins drive than can make use of the Sea-link to enjoy the drive.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

Hello,

I live in the area where your hotel is situated and from the time your flight lands to reaching the hotel, it could easily take you a couple of hours, even with the sea-link. Also, the sea-link might not be the best way to reach your hotel. At least, that is not how I would go home directly from the Airport. However, if you want to experience the sea-link, then it is up to you. It is a bridge over the sea linking two points in Mumbai. It is special for Mumbai people but in all fairness, it is just a bridge.

Your check-in might get a bit delayed, but you could take the sea-link and visit Siddhivinayak Temple on your way to the hotel. Ask your taxi driver that you need to go to the ITC hotel at Parel (near Lalbaag) and that you want to visit the Siddhivinayak Temple on your way there and then also ask him to take the sea-link. This should help him understand the route properly and will not confuse him. But, I would recommend taking the sea-link only if you want to visit the Temple beforehand. Otherwise, you can take a pre-paid taxi at the Airport and let the taxi driver decide the fastest route, though to reach your hotel taking the sea-link will not.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

If you arrive at 9.40 am, you won't be out of the airport until 10.40 or so. Take at least another hour to get to your hotel (the sea-link is definitely not the route to take to the Grand Central), which means you will get to the hotel at noon or after. In all likelihood, they will give you the room when you reach - I doubt that the hotel will be 100% occupied.

You might like to consider heading to the hotel straight away and look at your sight seeing options later.

Mumbai
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Short trip to Mumbai - Advice required

There are so many interesting places to visit in Mumbai, like as Marine drive , Church-gate Flora fountain, Elephanta caves and Juhu beach..And so many hotels with hi-fi facilities...

Get answers to your questions about Mumbai (Bombay)