We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Is swimwear attire such as bikini's, speedo's or ''budgie smugglers'' considered unsuitable for beach / hotel pool swimming?

If so, what's the norm - if there is such a thing?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Bikinis in the hotel pool should be fine. However, unless you are going to Goa, it is not advisable to wear Bikinis on the Mumbai beaches. One piece should be fine.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

No, please avoid any kind of beachwear in Mumbai, except in the hotel pools.

One piece isn't fine either on the beach.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 18:04
Goa, India
Level Contributor
68 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

A shorts and a T Shirt will be fine on beaches, but dont try any swimwear. 5 Star hotel pools you may wear what you want, no hassle.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

western swimwear norms apply at most 3-5 star hotels across India, and ditto for only those public beaches with large no of women in bikinis or 1 piece: all of Goa, and few in Kerala like Varkala, few in Andaman & Nicobar, for rest one will have to make do with - at the most - tank tops & shorts. cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Thanks very much for the heads-up. Nobody likes to stick out like a sore thumb whilst in foreign climes. Just for the record, bikini was added into my original question in case any ladies on TA were curious about their own swimwear, as I myself don't own a bikini, although I do have a very nice bright green, lycra mankini - which you will be glad to hear I shall be leaving at home.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

I have to confess I didn't 'register' beyond bikini, and atleast I was addressing women (& your gender neutral ID didn't help matters either:)

so to be clear, for men too - western norms apply in 3-5 star hotels / resorts AND popular with westerners beaches like above mentioned - most of Goa, Varkala....so short speedos are fine here, if you can carry it off :)

as far as other beaches go: those which are used by mostly Indians to swim, it's wiser to stick to slightly more modest bottom than the ultra short speedos, like a square leg shaped ones

and those which are NOT used for swimming, but just strolling etc, use boxer shorts, trunks, bahamas; on some of these beaches topless men are fine, for others use sleeveless tees, vests, or regular tees

cheers

Edited: 17 April 2013, 06:14
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Forgive me, but are you serious about swimming at a Mumbai beach? Or "stripping off" to swimwear|? That's (a) unwise, given the sea is mstly pretty heavily polluted and (b) not really how the Indians use the beaches of a city. Most stay fully clothed and the beach is a place to gather, eat, chat, maybe light a fire and cook food ... As Sunjay says, cover up for the most part. If you want to strech out and sunbathe, do it at your hotel pool.

From wikipedia : As a coastal city, Mumbai has many beaches along its western coast; however, most of the beaches are polluted, and are unfit for swimming.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

for the record John, there are many extremely pretty beaches on the fringes of, and close to Mumbai which are great for swimming...

as far as main city's beaches, well, in spite of many new treatment plants.....lemme just say these make for great strolling, hang outs, with super variety of food at excellent value, nice breezes, vibrant ambiance... :)

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

Yes, Sunjay, it was the strolling, hanging out and vibrant ambiance that I thought the OP should be aware of, when contemplating wearing just a Speedo!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Acceptable swimwear for the beach / pool.

indeed :-)