We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai shopping

Depths of africa
1 post
Save Topic
Mumbai shopping

Greetings to all from the depths of Africa.

Am here looking for some advice on shopping in Mumbai. I want to buy salwar kameez in bulk, meaning about 40 pieces and mostly party wear especially with bling or heavy embroidery and more so anarkalis. I am quite uncertain where to even start shopping though have read good reviews of Elco market. My budget is roughly 2500 rupees per suit. Please please advice. Thank you all in advance.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai shopping

can try at dadar manish market.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai shopping

For 40+ suits its better to have a look around crawford market. You can strike a good deal on bulk purchases.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai shopping

Hello Willams_ticks

Crawford Market is the Market which houses all the kitchen/household products mainly the fruits,dry-fruits, vegetables,spices ,pets.meat, poultry, packed & processed food items, party accessories . But do not sell any ready to wear or clothes.

Hello Shopaholic93

It is the Mangaldas or the Motta Market or the Mahatma Gandhi Market which sales at wholesale basis ready to wear clothes.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 03:07
vancoouver b.c
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai shopping

hi there

can anybody tell me where is the best place in mumbai to make mens custom made suites

thanks

Edited: 26 April 2013, 00:02
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,021 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai shopping

Hi shopaholics..

Definitely at mangaldas market..you will find a very good set in your budget..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai shopping

Shopaholic - Gandhi Market is very good, low prices and lots of bling. Start with that and see how that goes. It is near Sion Hospital. You will get Anarkalis for certain, it is near my house and I go there often. The accessories and jewellery/handbags/jewelled footwear is also interesting and low priced. You will be able to buy at a good price and sell that.

Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai shopping

For a westerner bargaining, what would be an acceptable price from the one first quoted?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai shopping

Hi auspal

If you are doing street-side shopping, start with half the price and see how it goes. Normally for foreigners, the vendors mark up the price at least that much. Be prepared to walk away and see if he calls you back. If he doesn't, it means he won't budge from his quoted price, if he does, you've got yourself a deal! :)

In a store, I suggest you ask for a 20% discount, you may get 10 to 15% off, but then again, you may not. There's no harm in asking though, is there? :)

In the bigger stores, no bargaining takes place.

9. Re: Mumbai shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 06:19