We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Not sure if anyone can help but last time we visited Mumbai, we went to the Geoffrey English bar at the Marine Plaza Hotel and when we came out, I remember being close to a cinema and asking a young local couple for a recommendation for a restaurant nearby. They directed us to a restaurant, and I think we went upstairs, the meal was delicious and I would like to visit on my next trip. Does anyone know where this might be please?

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Hello Auspal,

What was the cuisine served - Indian Meals in metal plate with many bowls of Vegetables ? Was it a only Veg Restaurant ? Close-by Marine Plaza ? Walk able from Marine Plaza ?At the end of the straight road when you turn right when facing the sea. And was the Cinema Hall - Eros bang opposite Churchgate Train station.

If all that is than it could be probably Samart Restaurant at Churchgate.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

If it was a cafe kind of place you went to which served continental food, you probably went to Sundance Cafe which is in the same building as the Eros Cinema, at the rear. Sundance was recently redone and has reopened. I am informed that the food is now inconsistent.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

What IndiaSpeaks refers to is the Samrat restaurant which serves Gujarati vegetarian cuisine.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 12:35
Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Sorry, I can barely remember how we got there now, quite a few years ago. It was definitely Indian food and not only vegetarian, but I thought with the young local couple recommending it, then it must have been popular and well known.

Thanks for your replies.

Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

We avoid eating Continental food when overseas, and always like to try the local dishes.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Could be Moti Mahal near Inox at NP. Pretty close to Marine Plaza as well. Its actually a 5 min walk from Marine Plaza. It is on the first floor and serves both Veg and Non-Veg Indian food.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

There are two possibilities for movie theatres close to Marine Drive:

1) The Eros Cinema, Churchgate - in which case you probably went to Samrat, which has an upstairs area. They serve Gujarati thali (all you can eat) meals. These days at Samrat in the open area outside the restaurant there is a waiting area and also there is a sort of patisserie that has cakes, croissants etc. Samrat is vegetarian. If you remember eating anything other than vegetarian, then it was not Samrat.

2) The Inox Cinema, Nariman Point - in which case you went inside a modern glass-fronted mall, and I'm guessing you'd remember that sort of thing. On the first floor of this mall there are restaurants, including Indian ones.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 11:40
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

Hello auspal,

The post has made everyone here try to solve the Treasure Hunt Search on a restaurant by putting one's guesses based on few clues set forth. I also tried to put some questions before you if can find the your loved restaurant on your earlier visit to Mumbai & also gave you probable Restaurant in my reply #1 as Samrat to help you recollect but it is not as it was not all vegetarian one.

The other possibility can be Khyber Restaurant which serves Indian veg & non-veg food and even have sitting arrangements above on climbing up staircases and also near the Regal Cinema & CSVS (Museum) at Kala Ghoda.It is the most popular restaurant for oversees guests visiting in Mumbai as largely recommended & frequented by foreigners as well as onetime quite popular amongst local Mumbaikars.

Just if you refresh from your past & possibly recollect have given you a two pictures as clue to aid in the two links below.

www.khyberrestaurant.com/khyber-fort.html

www.khyberrestaurant.com/khyber-fort.html

9. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 11:50
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant near Marine Drive Mumbai

It could have been Gaylord. That serves both continental and Indian food and has an upstairs section. The Indian food is pretty good.