We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai Airport transit issue

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mumbai Airport transit issue

Im arriving at mumbai in an international flight and have 3hrs transit time before i take the next flight(domestic one) to my hometown. Once done with customs, can i get out to meet a friend outside the airport?or should i be staying at transit area? Im an Indian citizen...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Hi there,

Well yes you can meet the friend, but outside domestic airport. Only this way you can use the free shuttle from International terminal to domestic terminal. Once the bus arrives at Domestic and normally you'd go to the security check for transit area ask the security officer the route to outside, this won't be an obvious one but technically you're allowed as you have already cleared customs and immigration in the International terminal.

Assuming your luggage is labeled through to your hometown, don't forget that it WILL be put on the belt in Mumbai Arrivals. You clear customs with it and then hand over to an airline employee, they'll transport to domestic terminal and put on your next flight.

All the best,

<Erik>

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

You don't have the necessary time to do this. You need to get from international to domestic terminal which can take 45 mins to 1 hour via the free shuttle. By the time you collect your bags and clear immigration, it will be time to head to the domestic airport.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 14:40
London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Thanks for the suggestions guys...dis forum is pretty good..

So is it risky? So how late can i get before going through security check at domestic terminal?is it like 30 mins ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Hi again,

Yes it's technically doable but timewise risky. I guess 45 mins is minimum to start queuing for security check at domestic terminal. But do mind the friend is not allowed to get in the building, there's a SECOND security check at entrance and for that one I would queue than 1 hour before flight time if I were you...

All the best,

<Erik>

Edited: 07 September 2013, 21:01
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,741 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Hi

I also agree with erik..you need minimum 1 hour to clear immi/customs/baggage..if you like step outside the airport ..meet your friend outside..head towards domestic terminal by a taxi with your friend..you need 35-40 mins considering normal traffic..you need to get enter in domestic terminal before 1 hour..because check in closes 45 min prior to take off timing..till then you can spend your time with your friend..be tricky and be quick

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Thanks guys... So looks a bit too tight..

Damn this 3hour transit, i should have chosen a flight with 8hours transit :(

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

The official reporting time for domestic flights these days is 2 hours. Most people go around 1 hour or 1.5 hours before the flight. So you should collect your bags and then go immediately.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

Thanks EricdR, Deepa & Lalbahadur for all the info & advise....

Got another update from my flight operator (transit time reduced to 2.5 hrs :( )...

Will have to head straight to domestic...

9. Re: Mumbai Airport transit issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:20