We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

Hello,

I'm travelling to Mumbai in January and would like to stay in a boutique-style hotel or one that's a little quirky - essentially, I want somewhere with a little character and to avoid anything too business/corporate, with mid-range prices. At the moment I'm having trouble finding anywhere that fits the bill.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

That is a difficult recommendation to make. Mid-range with 'character' is a tough combo in this city.

Although it's not exactly what you seek, maybe you could look at Gordon House at Colaba. It's small, less business oriented, kind of boutiqueish.

You could also look at The Ambassador at Churchgate although the 'character' is due to the fact that it is now dated and shows its age. Do read reviews first though.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 02:00
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

Hello ConsciousCharlie,

It could be :

Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel,

InterContinental Marine Drive,

The Shalimar Hotel ,-Kemps Corner

The Waterstones Hotel ,Near International Airport Andheri East

Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai -Powai ,

Juhu Residency Boutique Hotel - Juhu

HOTEL JC CHALET -Juhu

So each may have their own character and may fall under boutique hotel may be most in mid range but surely a way different from the business / corporate for sure.So look up on them and decide what suits best for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

Thank you both - very helpful!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

My advice to you is to focus more on hotel location than other characteristics. The travel time in Mumbai can be pretty crazy if you end up staying in the northern suburbs of the city. Also the area near the airport is dreary and depressing. Stick to South Mumbai or at the most, Bandra, and you will have a good experience in the city.

I think Le Sutra qualifies as really quirky. It is not a standard business-hotel. It is in Bandra, away from the sightseeing area. Gordon House as MR points out, is another hotel with some character; it has themed floors and it is located right near the Gateway of India.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

If you're going to be here as a tourist, Gordon House's location is extremely convenient. Le Sutra, though nice, is on the northern side of Mumbai and most tourist locations are in the south.

6. Re: Boutique/quirky hotels in Mumbai - any recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mumbai (Bombay)