We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Palladium Hotel

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Palladium Hotel

My husband and I are first time travelers to India and our travel agent has suggested we stay at the Palladium Hotel in Mumbai (formally Shangri La). Although we would like to do some shopping, we intend on doing most of the tourist things first time travelers to the city would do. I would most appreciate feedback regarding the location of the hotel in respect to tourist attractions, is it advisable for us to stay here? The last thing we would want is to spend most of our precious time in Mumbai stuck in traffic! Any feedback on the hotels distance to popular sites would be appreciated.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Palladium Hotel

That is the wrong location to stay in. Your travel agent either doesn't know or is misleading you.

Stay in the southern tip of Mumbai where most of the tourist locations are.

The only thing close to the Palladium Hotel is .... The Palladium Mall, so unless you are here only to shop, change the hotel.

Look at The Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, the Oberoi, the Trident (the Nariman Point one), Marine Plaza or The Intercontinental (the Marine Drive one). If you want more choices, post again.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Palladium Hotel

Thank you very much for the response. I mentioned your suggestions to the travel agent and they are offering us Trident Nariman Point unfortunately this is coming at an added cost:( They have offered us the ITC Grand Central located in lower parel south Mumbai without any added costs, could you please advise with regards to this hotels location? Your assistance has been most appreciated

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Palladium Hotel

Hello Aneesa SA

ITC Grand Central-Parel although not near to most of the sight seeing places. down South. It is about 7/10kms where major attraction are situated . It may take about 15-20 mins drive(using the JJ flyover) to visit the many sights. So if are comfortable to drive about 30 mins. to & fro each day & if the saving is substantial than you can opt for this. Even with Palladium but the drive time from here would be about 35 to 40 minsone way to cover 12/14kms.The only advantage with Palladium hotel is it is in the same campus as HSP Mall & in the same building which houses Palladium Mall. So if you are going to shop for brands than you have a advantage of zero commuting in traffic.

Decide calculating what will be benefiting visa a visa extra for Trident against the taxi fare to & fro to sites around INR 250/-(If ITC Grand Central and around 400/-(Palladium) both ways . If you plan to visit some suburban sites in North than both Hotels are more or less midway & can reach either of the direction easily. Mumbai runs South to North.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Palladium Hotel

The ITC Grand Central is also in a terrible location. There is nothing around.

If the Trident is working out expensive, why don't you check the prices for Vivanta by Taj President - that is not too far from the tourist locations.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Palladium Hotel

If you don't mind not staying in a 4/5 star, you could look at Gordon House at Colaba, a small boutiqueish 2/3 star, but well located. Do check reviews before you decide, though.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Palladium Hotel

Hello AneesaSA,

As your original post does not say anything other than shopping & sightseeing as activities .So can presume are not much of indulging in eating out & looking for some nightlife.Even if you are looking for some restaurants & lounges there are quite few at walking distance from Palladium and some 1.5kms from ITC Grand Central.The Palladium & HSP has many dining option for multi- cuisine food and also a multiplex for movies & some entertainment center which you may like to go post touring around.You can also access to all this from ITC Grand Central as it is just 1.8kms to Palladium. The ITC Grand Central also has very good in house restaurants serving very good cuisine.

As traffic is bad on all of the Mumbai roads so you have to bear the snarls at most of the time. Even there is nothing immediately around Vivanta by Taj President unless you walk some 700 mts to Colaba causeway.

So if I were you and I getting a good bargain at both the 5* will not ruled out for having nothing around the area. Although it does have many option as stated above. So decide unless you just want to be in between the tourist active area.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Palladium Hotel

The hotels I have suggested are at the most appropriate locations to easily access the tourist attractions, particularly for first time visitors.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Palladium Hotel

I agree with MR about the location. Best to be in South Mumbai.

However, between Palladium and Grand Central, the Palladium location has more to offer. There are a lot of restaurants in the Phoenix Mill complex and there is some higher end shopping too, including possibilities for souvenir shopping. Not too far away and within walking distance are Blue Frog, Cafe Zoe, Zaffran, etc. You can look all these up.

Dining at Grand Central is horribly expensive. I know.

Getting to Phoenix and Palladium from and back to Grand Central can take a while sometimes, especially with this being a season for parties, weddings and such. It all depends on traffic. 10 minutes to even 45 minutes sometimes. I have done that trip many times.

Have not been inside Hotel Palladium, but I am not fond of the Grand Central although I have never stayed there.

There is no atmosphere in both localities of Parel and Lower Parel. Plenty of it in South Mumbai. Finally, you will just have to opt for what is most important to you I guess.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Palladium Hotel

Hello AneesaSA,

As your travel agent is not offering you many option to be more in South of Mumbai.Do not get disturbed by the travel time indications as even if you opt to stay in Colaba/Cuffee Pardae area the traffic condition in this area is also difficult as Gordon House is just near to The Gateway of India which attracts maximum tourist with this there would be many street vendors selling different wares all around many taxis & driver all around & few touts even also nearby The Taj Palace and Hotel further being season of wedding & parties this would be the venue for maximum such events as it is one of the best venue for the elites& all foreign dignitaries. Even Vivanta by Taj is in the area where lots of elite stay and have parties at their home besides there are few venues where the wedding would be on . So you will be facing more or less same time waiting in traffic for even smaller distances around.

It would be best if you have few option to select from to prioritize how much time you will need to spent to cover some 3 sq.km of touristic sites whether you will be doing all this by walking around stopping at each and every building or cover some by walking & be in a vehicle to visit some others.what ever mode you adopt you can cover up in half a day or maximum in a day even go walking all the way..So if you would be just for the day than probably can think of South Mumbai but for some more few days stay here & do not intend to visit the same area / places again the next or third day than the two options given by you travel agent which falls in Central Mumbai from here can discover other suburban sites more easily if you plan to stay at either of the two. Further the famous open air laundry visited by most tourist , the Haji Ali and Siddhi Vinayak & Mahalakshmi temple can be done very easily as are nearer to the Palladium and even ITC Grand Central further there are few very good restaurants in the nearby Race Course concourse if you like to visit some restaurant serving very good cuisine. Even the restaurants near Nehru Planetarium and at nearby Atria Mall you have many choices of eating out.So work ,research and review at the best and decide the place of stay.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Palladium Hotel

One more vote against anything not in South Mumbai. Please select your hotel carefully as travelling in Mumbai can be quite tedious at peak hours.