We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transit Visa

Hi all,

I have a transit in Mumbai for 2 hours and also there's gonna be a airline change too.(From Sri lankan airlines to Emirates). In that case, Do I need to have a transit visa, since I need to clear my luggage from sri lankan airlines and then check-in again for Emirates?

Thanks..

DCW

Edited: 11 January 2014, 10:11
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,149 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa

Hi there,

Depends on whether it is 1 or 2 tickets. In case of 1 ticket generally that allows labeling the luggage all the way to your final Emirates destination. You might not yet get the Emirates boarding card in Colombo but then can get it at a Mumbai transfer desk.

If it's 2 tickets, you are at the mercy of the ground staff (as yes formally you need a transit visa BUT then 1] that costs you a considerable amount and processing time and 2] then two hours simply is not enough for Immigration, luggage pickup and recheckin). In most cases there is an option of a ground staff member accompanying you to Arrivals (bypassing the Immigration queue), picking up your luggage with you and then together going to check in again; after which you bypass the Emigration queue.

All the best,

<Erik>

2. Re: Transit Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Mumbai (Bombay)