We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

The schedule for our trip to India in November requires us to stay at a hotel in Mumbai on November 25, visit some sites in old Mumbai on November 26, and leave on a cruise from Mumbai that evening. I was going to stay at a nice hotel on Marine drive, which is a good place to walk around and has easy access to some interesting sites. However, many of these terrorist groups have a thing about anniversary dates and symbolism so I'm wondering whether we should stay away from this area during that time and maybe stay in a hotel out by the airport instead after we arrive on the afternoon of the 25th. We haven't let these occasional incidents of terrorism deter us from traveling elsewhere over the past 10 years. We've done a lot of traveling in Europe and Asia, and we also visit New York City which is close to our home several times a year. Nevertheless, do you think this is just a bad day to stay out of that area?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

Hi !

Have NO such concerns.

Welcome to Mumbai.

CarLink

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

Enjoy I travel alone and go about my business there.Have fun it's a beautiful city!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

I found the question surprising, because such a thing has not entered my wildest imagination. This is like saying no one should be in Manhattan on any anniversary of the 9/11 attack. For how long? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Fear is a crippling thing, and it is contagious. When you talk about fear, you infect others with it. I personally don't have any fear of any such "anniversary event", and I live in Mumbai, and go to these places almost daily. I would strongly urge you not to create or pass on this kind of contagion by thought or printed word.

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

Just like how people continue visiting NYC even after 9/11, the same way tourists continue visiting Mumbai. Life runs normally even on 26/11 each year. There are no such risks now for tourists at the same spot. After the incident, local police and hotel security are better armed for such situations.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 07:08
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

BTW, how is anyone ever to know what and when and where the terrorists are planning, unless they are a part of some terrorist outfit? And in that case, they won't be posting here on TA for sure...:)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

You will have such a good time there! I stay at the Trident Hotel on Marine Drive at Nariman Point, a hotel which I cannot recommend highly enough for its location and its lovely welcoming staff. By the pool, pointing out towards the sea, there is a highly polished granite memorial slab to honour all the members of staff and guests who died there that day - it is a privilege to be reminded and to think of them on any day of the year. Can't think of any reason to avoid any place on the anniversary of any incident or we'd never go anywhere. Living in a major world city, which has been subject of terrorist attacks by different organisations, I have never felt the need to avoid particular places in case lightning strikes twice, more likely to avoid certain parts of the city centre in the height of the tourist season to avoid the pedestrian gridlock that welcomed tourists bring to our streets!

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

Hello MysticTennis,

You have mentioned in your last lines of OP that : "We haven't let these occasional incidents of terrorism deter us from traveling elsewhere over the past 10 years. We've done a lot of traveling in Europe and Asia, and we also visit New York City which is close to our home several times a year ".Now if that is so why think to change over around when you will be in Mumbai anyways you will be traveling/moving to various sites on 11/26.So why stop self to stay/move in a particular area/place.

It is a bad day prediction you are looking for you need to consult a astrologer who will be of help.If it is a bad day as per ones star ( if one is a believer) than one should not leave ones home place at all. if it is bad anything can strike any one at any place and no prediction (astrology) or anyone will be of help.Hence no area /place can be blamed as bad if one has ill luck in their star.

If can strengthen a belief nothing is bad or good & anything can happen any time any where than will never have to take any support to do or not to neither astrology can help even I believe so.

There will be some positive & some other views than how will you decide if both turns out to be equal ?

Loose out on fear and enjoy the city at its best.

Vienna
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

In short leave your fear behind and enjoy the time on hand as no one can change his / her destiny. If you are destined to die on that particular date it coulld be even your home.

9. Re: Safety of November 26 Stay on Marine Drive in Mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28