We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suburbs of Mumbai?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Suburbs of Mumbai?

I am considering staying in Mumbai for 2 months - I would be working in Kandivali East, but could stay anywhere (I don't mind a commute, would take buses/train to K.E.). Does anyone have recommendations for a good suburb to live in for a first-time traveler to India who wants to experience as much of the culture as possible?

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

You can experience the local culture in all places of Mumbai and suburbs during the Janmastami (Dahi Handi) festival in August and Ganapati Festival in September, the main festivals of the region.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,673 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Yes, Kandivali is just one of the many suburbs. But don't underestimate commuting time in Mumbai, can be QUITE long esp. in buses so I would just settle for something nearby.

Much more important than the exact suburb is the kind of room/apartment you select. Gated community apartment of normal house in the middle of the real street culture? How close is the 'bazaar scene' where all people meet? Let this be your main differentiating factor, and don't try to find a too silent place as in Mumbai silence is not really part of real Indian culture ;-)

All the best,

<Erik>

mumbai
Level Contributor
178 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

A serviced apartment would serve you fine,I think.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

So Kandivali is further north in Mumbai, I haven't been there myself but if you lived up there you would be quite far out from lots of things.

When I first stayed in Mumbai I stayed near Powaii Lake which isn't too far from Kandivali in relation to other places. I like it there,some cool restaurants and the Galleria shopping centre (if it is still there??)

I would also recommend Juhu or Bandra........excellent for shopping, food, bars etc and very bustling,if you are on your own this might be a better option, Bandra I feel is very safe. You are then centralised and yes you will have to commute to work which bare in mind can be a nightmare but I enjoyed it.......although I had a driver rather than taking the bus.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Hi Sophie,

Pls stay in kandivli east itself. Though it's far from the sight seeing places, Kandivli is quite a developed suburb with many restaurants and a good market. Since you are here for 2 months you can always do your sight seeing and shopping on your days off rather than having to commute everyday, which can be quite stressful.

Hope you have a great stay in mumbai....

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Thank you all for the advice! Much appreciated :)

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Hi,

Don't be over confident of commuting in Mumbai suburban buses & trains, especially during peak time. As suggested above better to stay in the Kandivali East.

You can always go to the other places to see the culture and activities, when you are free as you are staying there for 2 full months.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Kandivili east and Borivili east are good locations to stay, with good restaurants and malls and other amenities. The Sanjay Gandhi national park is nearby, good place for a day visit or early morning jogs and a delightful place in the middle of the city especially in monsoons. The airport is about 14-15 kilometres away and easily reachable. Do not venture further away from these two localities because traffic on the Western expressway (which connects these areas with rest of Mumbai) is a nightmare.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

Hi Sophie,

It looks like you are from US and you are transferred for some project to off site for 2 months i.e. in Kandivali east. Let me tell you clean and clear I am born and brought up in Mumbai in Borivali suburb which is just one suburb after Kandivali and settled in Melbourne since last 10 plus yrs. During my last visit I found its not easy for me to tavel in Train during Peak time. I did travel in Train but it was non-peak time :-)

So If your office have given you tight budget for travel than I will suggest to book a place in Kandivali you will get it for cheap price which will vary between 200$ to Max 500$ a month. So every morning you can sleep till late and enjoy your daily travel to and from work to your place :-)

The word is Mumbai never sleeps and the night life of mumbai is awesome and if you too want to enjoy every night than those places are near from

Andheri

Juhu Road

Bandra Band Stand

Worli Sea Face

Nariman Point

Colaba

where you will enjoy every evening either walking on Road, Next to beach, In pub etc

Squeezing in Mumbai 2nd Class train will be night-mare but I just realized that you will be working in Kandivali so if you rent a apartment in Andheri, Juhu Rd or Churchgate than during peak hrs if you have First Class Train Pass than you will be travelling in opposite direction to People Travelling during Peak hrs :-) This will be biggest advantage for you

As some one said to enjoy the culture, The Janmashtami and other festivals make you feel more of Indian culture rather than squeezing in train won't give you any feel.

and add rule of thumb not to travel in Gents compartment during peak hrs or any other time if you can, All mumbai gents are descent people but sometime some idiot can try to touch your private parts intentional/un-intentionally and I don't want you go back with those memories.

some rough cost:

Rent in Kandivali,Borivali, Malad 200 to 400$ exclude bills

rent in Andheri Juhu Rd, Bandra Band Stand, Churchgate double price

my suggestion will be Juhu Rd or Nariman Point as Churchgate station is walking distance

all international restaurants will be available Juhu rd, Bandra, Nariman Point

If you have any further questions, Please Shoot

10. Re: Suburbs of Mumbai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 19:02