We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Upper MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Hello all, I will be traveling to India (Mumbai) early 2015 for the first time. I am excited, but also concerned and nervous. I am female and will be traveling with extended family here for about 15 days, flying from the US. I have a VERY touchy tummy, so what can others share with me about food/beverage there? I would just as soon not have to eat granola bars from home all the while there, but I am very nervous about Delhi belly. And...as for clothing. Ladies, can I wear sleeveless tops? Capris with sandals? Sundresses with bare shoulders? And what would others suggest for absolute must-see's/must-do in that area?

Israel
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Touchy Belly- be careful not to drink anything that does not come in a closed bottle. the Lassi might be tempting but don't chance it. Use bottled water when you brush your teeth, too. Take some kind of probiotic pills daily. Eating the yogurt (curd) can help. Bring your granola bars as back up. If you don't eat them you can give them away- enough folks in need for that.

Clothing- Mumbai is much more liberal in clothing than the rest of India. If you are in the outskirts or villiages, you should dress conservatively- cover the shoulders and no shorts or short skirts. Never the less, in Mumbai, if possible don't go sleeveless. it's just more respectful. Have fun.

Upper MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Thank you Linda

3. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 16:41
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Nothing to worry about; if you don't eat street food you'll be fine. It's not as if every tourist who comes to Mumbai is brushing their teeth with bottled water. You'll have super fun. This is a great city. Check out photos of Mumbai online, read some Mumbai blogs, check out what people are wearing.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Mumbai is a one of the most modern cities of India. Wearing sleeveless or shorts in Mumbai is not a big issue. However, in order to avoid unnecessary attention, it advisable to avoid showing excessive skin.

Do not drink water from taps in Mumbai. Use only bottled water. Do not drink beverages served with ice. Most likely, the water used in ice will not be hygienic.

Never eat from roadside vendors or shops. The food they offer is mostly unhygienic. Let me also tell you, some of the nicest food I have had in Mumbai is from the footpath vendors.

International cuisine is available at almost every place in Mumbai. Every leading food chain such as Pizza Hut, Domino’s, and McDonald’s is located in the city. Menus and taste of most of these fast food eating joints may be different from what you get in your home country.

Be careful with the cabbies. They may rip you off once they realize that you are a tourist. The number indicated on the meter of the taxis and auto-rickshaws is not the amount to be paid. The fare has to be calculated with the help of a price chart available with the driver.

Avoid travelling alone, especially dark and lonely places areas at night.

Have a sense of caution while you are in a foreign place. Pick pocketing and theft can happen, especially in crowded areas such as transport hubs and busy markets. But, this advice is applicable to any unfamiliar place in the world.

6. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:35
7. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 20:35
Edited: 26 April 2014, 20:35
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Hello zengecko,,

Now just have to pay for Taxis. Auto/Rickshaws& even Radio Taxis as per meter exactly what is shown on the Electronic meter as the manually flag down meter have been completely replaced with the E-meter in Mumbai & its Subs. So no more pay by charts or no more paying high ( fabricated charts).

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Hi Zengecko,

Welcome to Mumbai.

CarLink

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to India:excited, but have concerns

Thanks Indiaspeaks, I was not aware of it.