We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local data/call sims

Wakefield, UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Local data/call sims

Hi I'm looking to get a local phone sim with data whilst in India, ideally one where I pay just a lump sum and top up if needed for so much data and calls. can someone recommend a provider, the cost and what I should be looking for, obviously it has to be one that hasn't got a contract of any kind.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local data/call sims

Try Reliance International Sim Card. They have a contact form on the website.

Wakefield, UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local data/call sims

Reading the terms it states "sim will be blocked in India" which defeats it's object of me needing it , thank you for the suggestion though.

Any more please?

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local data/call sims

Hello Trickydickyy,

The others could be Vodafone, Idea Cellular , Airtel, Tata.

Vodafone has plans for oversees visitors . Where the sim is activated in 2/3 hours as per their claim( but may take 8 hrs) against a form filled with copies of travel documents . Passport, 2 passport size photographs & a letter from your hotel where you have booked/staying all originals to verify with a set of photocopies for them .Will need to visit one of there store near your stay. Other telecom service provider have more or less the same requirements but with variable validity and some few rupees here or there in activation & usage charges and different time to get sim activated may very with each.

India
Level Contributor
233 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local data/call sims

@ Tricky

Getting a sim for a visitor is a tad more difficult in India (thanks to the terrorism issue whence visitors from some countries used local sims to detonate bombs ).

Having said that, the quickets way is to walk into a vodafone shop and get this done. As correctly mentioned by India speaks, you will need your passport, a few photos (again - you could get these taken near the shop itself), and pay around 1000 rupees / lesser to get a stored value pre paid sim card. There after, topping up is easy and can be done at shops at street corners.

See the vodafone Maharashtra (Mumbai) website for details of the closest store - www.vodafone.in

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local data/call sims

I couldn't get SIM last 2 visits ;(

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local data/call sims

Hello Aerowbx2u,

Was there any special reasons cited by the Telecom Service Providers (TSP) for not granting sims twice to you. Were the issues with the TSP's if so which one did you try both the times & reason if any. This is to keep us update on availing sims for non Indian resident.

Thanks.

7. Re: Local data/call sims

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16