We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Have also been looking looking at this train as a possible option for me and the wife. Leaves at 23.05.

I wonder if someone could let me know what one can explain the AC First Class (1A) category for that train.

I am hoping it is a sort of 2 berth cabin for just me and my wife? Am i right?

If so- is bedding included and does someone come to make up the bed or do we do that ourselves? Obvioulsy not a problem if we have to.

The train leaves CST at 23.05. What is the earliest one can actually board the train?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

First class can be either 2-berth cabin or 4-berth cabin. The seats are allocated 3 hours before the train leaves, it is stuck to the door of the compartment.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

You can request the Ticket Checker to change your berths, but it depends on who else is travelling and what is feasible at that time.

They give you blankets and pillows and bedspreads for the night. I'm not sure if they actually make the bed for you, maybe they do, I don't know. Haven't been in one. See seat61.com for photos and more information.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

You can board about 30 minutes before the train.

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Thanks for that. Very helpful indeed.

We are both pensioners and my wife might be concerned to share a 4 berth compartment with men(other than me obviously!). Could be very risky for me if we are unlucky. Pity really. I guess booking as soon as the train becomes available to book wont help either?

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Hi doofus; as Deepa said look at man in seat 61 (I am sure I put this link on another thread you were on). Anyway, here it is. This is THE comprehensive guide to train travel abroad. I has helped me in many Countries and is always spot on.

http://www.seat61.com/India.htm#.U4yUUztwZlY

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

No it doesn't matter when you book. It's not such a great idea to go to Goa by overnight train first class. The ticket costs Rs 2300 approximately. You should just take a flight. Flights are not expensive.

If you do want to go by train, you could possibly try a day train, there are several. They take about 8 hours.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 17:05
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Yea we want to go by train. We always fly so its a nice change for us. Yes I have looked at the JanShatbadi daytime train but just want to explore the options further. Travel is all part of the 'holiday experience'. If it was just me it wouldn't make the slightest bit of differnce but cant take the chance with other half.

One thing you may or may not know about. If we do decide to chance our luck and go for the overnight Konkan Express train from CST we will need to stow our luggage away somewhere during the day. Are there retiring rooms that one can hire or some sort of a first class lounge etc? Maybe i should post that as a seperate question. I think I will. Thanks.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

Yes all railway stations offer luggage storage.

Thane, Maharashtra...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

How much do I need to pay for my dog as a passenger on the Konkan Kanya express?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Konkan Kanya Express AC First Class(1A)

1A First class AC: This is the most expensive class, where the fares are almost at par with air fare. There are eight cabins (including two coupes) in the full AC First Class coach and three cabins (including one coupe) in the half AC First Class coach. The coach has an attendant to help the passengers. Bedding is included with the fare in IR. This air conditioned coach is present only on popular routes and can carry 18 passengers (full coach) or 10 passengers (half coach). The sleeper berths are extremely wide and spacious. The coaches are carpeted, have sleeping accommodation and have privacy features like personal coupes. This class is available on broad gauge and metre gauge trains.

delhiguide