We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

Maui
Level Contributor
232 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

A friend and I have flights booked into Mumbai on Aug 5th 2014. We haven't gotten our visas yet because she is still waiting for a state id to come in the mail. Can anyone reccomend a fast and trust worthy visa provider for us? Im starting to stress that getting it a month before hand wont be enough time!

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

This thread might provide you with interesting reading:

tripadvisor.com/…58814439

Also these links on the history and present state of visa applications esp in California:

(From Maui I don't know what office of CKGS you should be using. If you are looking for an expediter Travisa used to be the outsourcing company, but now it just is one more link in the chain and perhaps will slow things down:

…about.com/b/2014/01/16/bls-to-cease-indian-…

…indiatimes.com/india/…34807651.cms

sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/…

indiawest.com/news/global_indian/article_8de…

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

One month is not going to be enough for you. The Indian Embassy and consulates have outsourced the visa application process to CKGS (coxs and kings). They do not have any expedited processing. We are waiting on our visa since June 6th. They have no idea where our passport it. There are people who have been visiting their application center everyday and the people there have no idea where the passports are. You should google about Indian visa issues and you will see that if you are extremely lucky you might be able to get it.

First -- Drop off at the Application center (Don't mail, they will lose it)

Second -- Try going and checking on it often (or it will be thrown in a pile and forgotten) - calling won't help, if (IF) you get them on phone they will outright lie to you (happened to us)

Don't get any documents wrong or that will add more lag time.

Emergency visas are only issued for Family emergencies. Flight cancellation is not considered an emergency.

Here is the link for the visa.

http://www.in.ckgs.us

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

The visa process for India appears to be quite daunting. We are retired and as such seem to have to supply back statements for 3 months. Along with the request for our social security numbers, home address and phone numbers this feels like a major intrusion into our privacy. Is all this absolutely necessary to obtain a visa.

4. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2016, 12:55
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

Why would you go through all the expense to travel to India without Visa even if there is a remote chance they might reject you there? I would never risk that. They are going to be as incompetent in India as they are here!

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

Visa applications to all countries require you to provide those kinds of Info. Infact when you sponsor visa for some one to US. You have to send tax form, employment letters, pay stubs etc. This is not special to India alone.

California, USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

We got our visas from CKGS last week. Process took a lot of time, being careful to provide correct information and to enclose the correct forms, but by double checking we felt confident we wouldn't have any problems. We live in California, so San Fran was our office to contact. Visas were processed within two weeks with email updates from CKGS, so we knew what was going on and where our papers were at all times. I don't think this should be a problem if people are careful to provide the correct info. I will say some questions were a little tricky and one could respond incorrectly easily.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

If anyone from the USA who has got their visa without trouble would like to write a brief visa guide like the one for UK citizens on top right of the India forum, please get in touch with me by pm. It would be a big help to readers of this forum who may not be that familiar with the visa process.

I know its a tough job, but I'm willing to help to do it.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

There is a long thread about this over on the Fodors forums. Take a look.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Advice For US Citizens Please!!!

Here again is the link for the TA thread on the subject which, for some reason, also resides in the Mumbai forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304554-i4228-k751…

Currently 343 posts and on page 35. Not many positive reports on how to get that visa, except the repeated advice about going through an expediter.

Edited: 23 December 2014, 20:36