We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Timisoara, Romania
4 posts
Save Topic
2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Dear everyone,

I need some advice for the following situation: I fly with Jet Airways from Paris to Chennai, with a 2 h stop in Mumbai, that is an international and then a domestic flight. Both the flights are on the same itinerary and with the same company.

What procedures I have to undergo at the arrival, at Terminal 2, and then, at the domestic Terminal 1B? Will the baggage be automatically moved? Where can I take the shuttle bus? Are there also taxis that could transfer passengers from the international terminal to the domestic ones?

Looking forward to your answers.

Best regards,

Laura

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,653 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Hi Laura,

Claim your luggage on arrival (essential, just like in USA); then clear customs; then hand over to Jet Airways staff for re-checkin. They'll transport it to terminal 1B and put on the flight.

Whether it's better to take a cab to the domestic terminal or wait for the free shuttle bus depends on the timing, as the bus only goes 2-3 x per hour. Hence inquire at the bus door (it's _before_ exiting the passenger-only area, next to where you gave your luggage to Jet staff) when next bus leaves, and if that would be more than 10 mins and you'd be too tight (2 hours is rather short for an INT-domestic transfer) then grab a taxi.

All the best,

<Erik>

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

hi

best answer for luggage handling is already suggested

you better take taxi from arrival level for domestic terminal...you need to reach domestic terminal before 45 mins..so better be quick..

Timisoara, Romania
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. If I choose to take a taxi, do I have to leave the airport and take it from the city, or there are taxis in the same area where the bus goes? And how much is such a taxi? Is it a problem if I pay in dollars? I doubt that I have enough time to change dollars to INR.

All the best,

Laura

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Before you consider the option of taking a taxi, see the following link which explains airport transfers for Jet Airways passengers.

jetairways.com/EN/…CoachServices.aspx

According to this, Jet will take your luggage at the international terminal. Once they have done that, it is their responsibility to ensure you board the plane. Trust the airline to do their job.

The only situation in which you could face problem is if your incoming flight is delayed. Since you are on the same airline for the entire journey, they will provide alternatives. In any case, while de-planing, Just talk to their gate agents who are always there to handle transit passengers such as yourself.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,653 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Well, to answer Laura's question: the cabs are one hall further than the Customs hall with bus transit, there is a prepaid desk and some independent runners immediately outside in Arrivals.

Whether to go for this or for the (Jet airways recommended but a general service) bus is upto her. If the risk is missing the plane, and Jet rescheduling you for a flight hours later, I would still consider a cab. But if your luggage misses the plane anyhow then not much use of catching it yourself.

Hope Jet has improved (I'm still flying them regularly) but some years back when I had incoming-INT link in Chennai and my incoming flight was 30 mins late on a 75 mins overall connection time Jet had arranged _nothing_ at de-planing, no express van etc; I simply had to go to INT terminal myself (about a 10 mins walk there) and rush through all queues, and both luggage and myself made it by minutes before the plane left...

Tnx,

<Erik>

Timisoara, Romania
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

I see. I was also wondering whether it would be of any help to make an online check-in for both the flights: Paris-Mumbai, Mumbai-Chennai.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

You should check-in for both flights in advance.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Hi Laura

While you are landing, the Jet airways crew would announce where international passengers, boarding onward domestic flights, can meet Jet airways ground staff for transit. It would usually be near the immigration counters or these can also be on the aerobridge,

The distance between the new international terminal and the domestic one is greatly reduced due to the new overbridge, and thus I would suggest just give yourself in to the airlines personnel, and they would arrange a transfer.

And yes, please do web check in for both flights!

Have a safe trip!

Rgds,

Amar

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Firstly, the reporting time for domestic flights is 2 hours these days. You are VERY VERY short of time. You run a strong risk of missing your connection.

My suggestion -

1) Travel with only hand baggage. You will save at least 30 minutes this way.

2) Alert Jet Airways staff on your international flight. Ask for help.

3) Not sure if flight attendants can help you. But make sure you ask for groundstaff of Jet to help you navigate your way through this situation. They may even assist through immigration and customs

3) Once you clear immigration and customs, let the Jet staff deal with the job of getting you on this flight. Do NOT try to leave the terminal and try taxis and other nonsense.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 13:31
Timisoara, Romania
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2h stop in Mumbai Airport

Thank you very much for all advice. Hope things will sort out well this time, and to be a lesson for the next time, to consider more attentively the stop hours. That's my first flight to India... :)