We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Hi,

My family and I are staying in Badra and plan to do a day trip to South Mumbai seeing all the sites on Friday 12 December. We will have a car and are planning the following things to do. Please can you advise on the itinnery and perhaps suggest changes as depends on what is close by:

Shree Sidhivinayak Mandir – 8am – VIP fast track entrance if required

Maha Laxmi Temple

Babulnath Mandir

Gateway of India

Shivaji Terminus

High Court (from the outside)

Elephanta Caves (ditch if don’t have time)

Afternoon tea at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel (3:30 – 7pm every day costing 1500inr pp)

Colaba for general site seeing and shopping

Leopolds Cafe for a few drinks

Marine Drive for a walk

Chowpatty beach for snacks/dinner

Back to hotel in Bandra

my itinnery is probably a bit ambitious so would value your views and can split into 2 days if need be

We would also like to do the following things but on a different day:

Bandra-Worli Sea Link

ISKON mandir

Juhu beach

Thanks very much for your help

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Hello meenam10,

Your itinerary is not at all too ambitious and will not have to ditch Elephanta caves tour even. Can cover all the places with some more if you want to cover in two days .The last 3 on your list reserved for another day can be done in two days time as under.

Is it auspicious for you to do Siddhi Vinayak on day one at the start of the tour followed by other two temples. if so than :

From Bandra take a Rajiv Gandhi Setu( BW Sea-link) and from there head to SiddhiVinayak Temple. Finish Darshan if need be to pay for fast track tickets if and only if find a big que otherwise finish the normal darshan.Then drive past Haji Ali and head to Mahalaxmi temple next Babulnath temple. Visit Banganga , Malabar Hill,Hanging Garden/Kamla Nehru Park and then visit Mani Bhavan, Iskcon temple at Chowpatty and Chowpatty beach and then head to Iskcon temple at Juhu and then Juhu beach and back to Bandra.

The next day start by 8-00am again via BW sea-link to Gateway take a ferry to Elephanta Caves ( total hours 5 to 5 & half hours) ferrying to & fro including some waiting, toy train up & down the hill and about 40/60 minutes at caves. Return by 2-30pm.have photoshoot at Gateway of india and head to Taj Mahal Palace Hotel for afternoon tea. Post tea go to Colaba Causeway some shopping and walk down or drive past the Fort heritage District( including the High Court /Mumbai University from outside till CST railway station. Come back to Leopolds for drink as having a car with you. Then go to Marine drive have a walk at promenade and then to Chowpatty for dinner or some dinnertime quick snacks and back to Bandra via BW sea link ( this time see the sea link lit up all its way as it would be late evening night )when you return to Bandra .

This covers all from you list and some more.

If you start your tour from Elephanta on day one. Some market visit can also be planned in between the two days in addition to all above and can straight head to Juhu first from Bandra on the second day and then South Mumbai with little reshuffle.

If you have an experienced driver knowing Mumbai roads well than he will be of help to you in guiding you the route in case you change on the day of the tour so discuss the list if you feel so as to avoid travel on the same roads instead cover some more places.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 16:21
england uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Hi IndiaSpeaks

Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful.

To be honest I think we will ditch the Elephanta caves and would prefer to do most in one day. we can do the ISKON temples another day.

So looking to start at Bandra use the sea link to the three mandir's (Sidhivinayak, Mahalakshmi then Babulnath) then head to the gateway, Taj hotel and coloba area. hopefully then marine drive and chowpatty beach before returning to Bandra.

we go to goa for a few days then stop at mumbai on the way back so plan to stay in JW marriott and plan to do the ISKON temple and Juhu beach then.

I will keep the itinery with me and see how we get on in one day!

thanks for your advice

Meenam

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Thanks meenam10.

You can do all ( including few more places) which are listed in day one & two if you drop Elephanta caves, Juhu beach & Juhu Iskcon the later two you intend to do when at JW Marriott on returning as that is absolutely time + mileage saver.

But can add Bandra Fort and Mount Mary Church when at Bandra when plan a tour on day one or one of the other afternoon / evening.

Can also plan Kanheri Caves and Sanjay Gandhi National Park once you return and are in Juhu as can do it 3/4 hours time if you start by 7-30/8-00am from Juhu if you have about 5/6 hours to go around.

england uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Thanks

Can I do the full list above (excluding elephants caves) in one day if we set off early from bandra (8am)

Thanks

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Hello meenam10,

Yes, you can do all from the list drawn by you initially and also cover all or maximum from the list drawn by me ( day one & day two) if you start early (excluding Elephanta & Juhu) unless there is some major traffic hurdles on the day.

So after completing Iskcon temple at Chowpatty ( doing all as per my list from day till there) head to CST Station ,Fort Heritage District, Marine Drive, Gateway Of India, Tea at Taj or Colaba Causeway first( if not reached 3-30 hrs when the tea would be served then do the Tea at Taj & Gateway later depending on hours as all three are closeby. Then have drink at Leopold's ( again keeping in mind the hour of the day for Tea as would not like to have drink followed by tea immediately) if finishing Colaba Causeway as Leopold is on Colaba Causeway and close to Gateway and Taj so interchange depending on timing you want to have Tea at Taj itself then again drive pass / walk on Marine Drive (see the Queen's Necklace if evening is set in as during December should be lit up by 6-00 pm) then drive to Chowpatty for snacks/dinner and back to Bandra.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9,077 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

In my honest opinion, if the breaks are kept short and bare minimum, the original itinerary is doable, without dropping Elephanta Caves.

Suggest reach Siddhivinayak an hour earlier by leaving around 07;00 from Bandra.

CarLink

england uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Is my order of itinery ok? I have planned accoding to what comes in the way to avoid travel time. Not sure about Babulnath mandir location but would prefer to do the mandir tours in the morning.

Shree Sidhivinayak Mandir – 8am – VIP fast track entrance if required

Maha Laxmi Temple

Babulnath Mandir

Gateway of India

Shivaji Terminus

High Court (from the outside)

Elephanta Caves (ditch if don’t have time)

Afternoon tea at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel (3:30 – 7pm every day costing 1500inr pp)

Colaba for general site seeing and shopping

Leopolds Cafe for a few drinks

Marine Drive for a walk - ideally as the sun goes down

Chowpatty beach for snacks/dinner

Back to hotel in Bandra

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

I don't think the second half of your day is feasible. High Tea starts at 4 and you will finish by 5. Then Colaba takes at least one hour. You will go past Leopold, it is on the causeway. Drop the ideal of drinks at Leopold and head to Marine Drive. You can catch the sunset at Marine Drive/Chowpatty in that case.

england uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

Good point, i think we will ditch the elephanta caves so can possibly move things around a little - will go with the flow

Thanks very much

10. Re: Day trip to south Mumbai from Bandra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16