We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa Mumbai yes or no?

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
K B
Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transit Visa Mumbai yes or no?

Hi!

I hope someone can help us, I´m so confused!

We have a Jet Airways Flight from Johannesburg to Bangkok via Mumbai. It is one ticket, but the first flight (Johannesburg - Mumbai) is operated by South African Airways.

Jet Airways told us we need a transit visa, since the check-through cannot be provided by South African Airways.

However, the Indian Embassy told us that we will not need any kind of Visa if we will not leave the airport.

I imagine we will have the 2 boarding passes, but we probably will have to go to baggage claim?

Any experiences in this regard?

The Transit Visa costs 80 USD, so I would really like to avoid it if possible!

Thanks a lot!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,569 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa Mumbai yes or no?

Hi there.

If the luggage cannot be checked through you WILL need to leave the 'airside' zone of the airport to claim your luggage 'landside' and then check in again. So yes, formally you need a transit visa - sorry for the Indian Embassy giving wrong information as apparently they did not fully understand the situation.

However there's an 'escape' but it's favour-based, you have no guarantee and aren't legally entitled to it. In cases like this SOMETIMES, through transfer desk in Mumbai or other airport staff, you can arrange a 'chaperon': a staff member that helps you for about 1 hour to

* Pass Immigration without getting a visa stamp in your passport (and hopefully jump the queues too)

* Accompanies you to collect the luggage

* Then clear customs, again without formal forms

* Check-in for the BKK flight, dropping off the luggage

* And finally clear Emigration, without the proper stamps in your passport

He/she is the personal guarantee/witness that all you do is this luggage-transfer-route, and not enter the country for a longer time.

But I would personally not count on such a favour-based mechanism and opt for the safer way of a transit visa. This 'hidden cost' should then be claimed back from the ticket seller, after all they sold you a single ticket but without the IMHO essential luggage transfer...

All the best,

<Erik>

Edited: 04 September 2014, 09:33
K B
Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Visa Mumbai yes or no?

Thank you, Erik, for this clarification!

I guess the only "safe" escape would be to travel without luggage! What a hassle...

But thanks again!

Katharina

3. Re: Transit Visa Mumbai yes or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 06:16