We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Hi! We're here at Le Meridian near the airport and the food is unbelievably disappointing - any tips for another airport hotel w/better food? unfortunately we've not energy to head across town....have had amazing month in India but need to finally get some sleep! any suggestions?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

ITC Grand Maratha has decent food. There is a Dum Pukht (North West Frontier cooking, which ITC always does well) and a Peshawari (closed handi cooking, plus regional stuff from Goa, Gujarat, plus Parsee and Bohri Muslim food...haven't eaten in Peshawari, but this sounds interesting in terms of trying out regional speciality cuisines...if you are a seafood fan Goan food and Parsi patra-ni-machi is good to try. Bohri cuisine also sounds really promising).

www.itcwelcomgroup.in/Hotels/HotelDining.asp…

And - I know you don't want to go into South Bombay, but perhaps Juhu is not too far for you? Every single restaurnt at the J W Marriott is worth the money. Chinese and Italian are brilliant. Saffron, the Indian restaurant is also good.

marriott.com/property/…bomjw

But if you don't want to go that far, and you're not interested in eating Indian food, then the choice is clear - I would head to Grand Hyatt in Santacruz, its on the highway and not too far from where you are. The Italian restaurant has always brought us lipsmacking joy. Expensive joy, though :)

…hyatt.com/hyatt/…index.jsp

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Lunch would be a good time to go to restaurants outside the immediate vicinity of the airport. Less traffic from twelve-thirty-ish to three-ish in the afternoon.

I havent eaten at the Leela recently, except at the coffee shop, but I'm sure it will be ok as well.

A great place to look for restaurant reviews is:

http://mumbai.burrp.com/

Do that before you go!

- Deepa

Bombay
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

The best Indian food near the International airport can be had at the ITC Grand Maratha.

They have 2 variations Dum Pukth which is a wider menu and cooked in the 400 year old Dum style, replicates royal cuisine.

Peshawari is more about Kebabs and is a more limited menu. However it is basically Delhi's famed Bukhara in every way except in name.

For Italian you can try Stax at the Hyatt Regency however if you have the time and can make it to the Hyatt in Kalina about 20 mins away, you will find much better Italian at Cellini.

Bombay
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

There isn't much to choose for when it comes to Chinese so far, near the airport.

You can read more at www.burrp.com or http://eatingoutinbombay.blogspot.com

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

I would second Deepa's suggestion for moving to J.W. Marriott. It is on the beach and has excellent restaurants. There are some coffee shops nearby as also Mahesh Lunch Home which is renowned for its Sea food.

UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

For Chinese near the airport there's an excellent Chinese in the Meridien and another (called Pan Asian) in the ITC Sheraton Granda Maratha and yet another in the Leela.

Pete

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Pan Asian is the best among these for ambience and overall dining experience.

I think ITC Grand Maratha wins hands down when it comes to 5-star food. Their sister hotel ITC Grand Central also serves a mean dal bukhara.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Oh. I re-read my first response to this thread and I spotted an error - Peshawari is North West Frontier cooking, and Dum Pukht is closed handi cooking (what was I thinking).

UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Deepa, As someone who spends around three months per year at the Maratha I had spotted your mistake but was too kind to mention it!!!!!

Incidentally there's a new Meditteranean Restaurant opening in the Maratha in the next couple of weeks (if it's not open already) which is going to be called "West View". The old "West View" (that I would not recommend) is now called "Katherines". I'll post a review when I've eaten there.

Pete

UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help = where is good food near airport/best hotel food?

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the speciality restaurants near the airport are expensive by Indian standards (expect to pay in the region of $60 per head for two courses with a few glasses of wine / beers).

Pete