We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware when buying jewellery

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
152 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Beware when buying jewellery

I would just like to share my (bad) experience of purchasing gemstone jewellery in Jaipur during our visit in November in the hope of saving others from making the same mistake..

We were taken to the Bhandari Jewellery store, which I thought was a reputable company. I puchased a semi precious multi stone bracelet set in silver at a cost of 14720Rs (approx $350.00 Australian).

I have only worn the bracelet about 3 times. When I went to put the bracelet on last week one of the stones closest to the clasp fell out. I took the bracelet to a jewellers here in Australia to repair it. I was advised that the stone fell out because the claw on the setting had broken off. They said they would have to remove at least 4 other stones beside the broken stone so that the heat when repairng the bracelet did not damage the stones and to fix the clasp which they disocvered was poorly made and not securing the bracelet. This was going to cost over $100.00 Australian and I was going to agreed to this because I really liked the bracelet.

Before starting the work I requested that they check the claws holding all the other stones. They did so and advised me that many others were also held insecurely. I was told that the bracelet could not be repaired without having to reset all the stones and rebuild every claw. They advised against it because they valued the bracelet at only $200.00 Australian and it would cost signifcantly more than that to repair. .

I was very sad that my lovely bracelet which was my souvenier of our visit to Jaipur was a "dud". I cannot repair it and I now cannot safely wear it.

I thought that I was going to a good jewellery store with good quality stones and jewellery that Jaipur is so well known for. I have emailed Bhandari Jewellers twice now and have had no reply.

Please be careful when buying jewellery and gemstones in Jaipur.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware when buying jewellery

we're in Jaipur at the moment and was taken to this shop by the govt guide we hired (arranged by the hotel), we were told this is a reputable place and had pictures of (supposedly) famous customers on the walls of the shop.

I found their product very expensive for what they are...stay away from these people.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware when buying jewellery

I donot understand why Bhandari jewelllers are not replying the email. if they are right they should email back.

this gives a bad image, where as Jaipur is world famouse for Gems

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware when buying jewellery

HI,

Bhandari Jewellers is very reputed shop in jaipur. but what ever happen in your case was sad, have you contacted them by phone or by email, they may not see what you wrote on trip advisor. i am sure if they are informed they will look into this matter and thing would be done to the best of your satisfaction. the contact nos of Bhandhari Jewellers are -+91 9829770000 (alok) & + 919414071546 (Raju),

hope this information will be helpful to you,

Jewellery is business of trust and faith & thats what jaipur is known.

Edited: 04 May 2010, 09:37
Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware when buying jewellery

I do not think you should write off the money you spent. Most jewelers have contacts all over the world. In case you have friends coming to Jaipur, you can send the bracelet back to Bhandari Jewelers for resetting. I am sure they will not charge you for it and will do this happily. If this is not possible, you should contact Bhandari Jewelers and ask for a refund. Pls tell them you will return the bracelet to a local contact in Australia and take your refund from that contact. Most jewelers in Jaipur give a money back guarantee if the purchased item is returned. It is always a good idea to get the return policy clearly stated on your bill when you buy an expensive item like this anywhere in the world.

5. Re: Beware when buying jewellery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Jaipur