We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Agra to Jaipur

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Agra to Jaipur

We (daughter 24 and mother 56) will be arriving in Agra from Delhi via train (arriving in Agra around 8:15) We hope to visit the Fort and Fatehour Sikri and of course the Taj. We will spend one night in Agra and the next day (a Wednesday) we are looking to get from Agra to Jaipur.

I see Intercity train # 2998 leaving Agra CNTT at 17:47 arriving Jaipur at 22:20. The time of this train is convenient because it allows us to spend the day visitng the sights and then continue on our trip. However, I am concerned that the only class available on this train appears to be 3A and I was wondering if anyone has any advice (pros, cons) traveling this route and class.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

The Train you are referring to is 2988 and NOT 2998

2988 GWL JP INTRCITY *AGRA CANTT 17:47 JAIPUR 22:20

AC3 Tier is for overnight Journeys with sleeping beds and is comfortable anyhow as you will travel only for 5hrs you can select AC Chair Car which should display as CC and is a bit cheaper than AC 3 Tier.

As you would sit and not sleep during the journey the AC Chair seats are more comfortale than the flat AC 3 Tier Bed/Seats.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Yes, mistyped the train #.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like a good idea to take the CC class vs 3A. I will make reservations online.

Is this a "safe and secure" way to travel? It almost sounds safer than hiring a driver....(??)

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Yes, its safe to Travel by Train and cheaper also.

wales united kingdom
Level Contributor
250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Hi

We took this train last week. As long as you take ac chair you will be fine we met some nice interesting people on that train. Remember the ac coach is at the front. we nearly missed the train (it left exactly on time) and went into one of the other coachs very dark dingy and crowded.

When you arrive at Jaipur station go outside to the prepaid taxi office. Don't take any notice of anyone who tells you they will do a better deal.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Thanks for the info... based on rrecommendations I have now booked AC class

Regarding hotel, I have been thinking about the Umaid Mahal base on what I have read here however, I am wondering if it is a good idea to stay there since reviews place it somewhat out of the way... Is there any good hotel more centrally located? I can go higher in price as long as it is worth it.

ANy siggestions regarding touring? Should I hire a tourguide through the hotel? I will be there two full days (3 nigths) before heading to Udaipur

Amsterdam
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Hi all,

We are planning a visit to India in July (crazy I know) but it summer hols. A travel agent I am dealing with has given us an offer to hire a car @$80 per day driver & fuel incl. I was thinking would trains be nicer...interaction with the locals. Any advice considering it would be peak summer? Thanks.

Amsterdam
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Sorry forgot to mention that we are 3 adults and 1 child of 7 yrs.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

July does not come under Summer and its basically Monsoon period in India and in around Delhi the humidity would be on the higher side side. If you are talking about hiring a Car for 24hrs with an average of 300kms travelling per day then it looks ok on an average. If you are talking about during the day for 8hrs 80kms it costs not exceeding $20 for a basic AC Car and every extra KM it should Rs. 7 to 8

Amsterdam
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Thanks RatnaPrasad for your advice. Our plan was to fly into Delhi, rest a couple of days and use the hired car, sightsee Delhi, go to Agra, Jaipur and then return to Delhi. I'm assuming that you'd advise us to hire a car in Delhi. I was told by someone from Delhi that a car for 8 days would costs apx. Rs. 26000 so assumed $80 was okay. Of course we won't be using the car for 24 hrs. On the other hand, I have also looked at taking Shatabdi from Delhi to Agra, but don't know how to get from Agra to Jaipur or Jaipur back to Delhi. Am totally confused :O)

As far as hotels, we booked the Lutyens guest house in Delhi, Clarks Shiraz in Agra (although they are charging us a supplement of Rs 2000 for our daughter for 2 nights), Mandawa Haveli in Jaipur. Are these good choices?? We had also planned to go to Bharatpur but have now decided to drop it. I understood that wildlife sanctuaries are closed! Boy this is really confusing....I have surfed internet until I was blue in my face and that is why I logged in into the Trip Advisor. Thanks again.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Agra to Jaipur

Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi can be done comfortably by the Train and that will save you money as well. Infact Agra can be covered in one day, so if you take the Shatabdi Express from Delhi at 6.10am you would reach Agra at 8.10am and you can travel from Agra to Jaipur by evening by Train at 5.40pm and reach Jaipur at 10.30pm or and travel by early morning train and reach Jaipur at 11am or so. Check details at www.indianrail.gov.in and for reservations at www.irctc.co.in

Iam not sure about the Hotels part may be other members can advise you on that part or search for the feedback.