We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai International Airport.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Chennai International Airport.

I will be arriving 5 hours before my friend into Chennai International airport. Should I stay in the airport or can I leave my luggage and walk somewhere.

What are your suggestions?

chennai
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai International Airport.

hi

sir there are very good hotels near to chennai international airport

you can go there and you can have some bites in coffee shop

Coimbatore, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai International Airport.

hi

Can you tell me any good hotel not 5* for 8-9hr near the airport

New Zealand
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chennai International Airport.

Thank you for this information. Do you know if there is a place to leave your luggage at the airport? What is the name of the airport?

Can I walk to the hotels?

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai International Airport.

The domestic and international airports at Chennai are adjacent to each other. So, if you have a connecting domestic flight, you can get past immigration and customs at the international airport, collect your baggage, exit the international airport, turn left and walk across to the domestic airport, where there are quite a few comfortable chairs u can relax, waiting for your friend. There are quite a few lounges as well to grab a bite or a drink.

If you do not have a connecting domestic flight, you can either relax at the airport itself of take a cab / auto to Hotel Trident or GRT Radisson f(both of them are hardly 5 minutes away by Cab / Auto) for a drink or a bite and wait at their lounge for your friend (you can inform your friend to meet you at one of these places in advance). However these are not walking distance.

There are no Lockers that i remember, but there is a 'Left Baggage' Kiosk at the international airport. If i remember right, the charges are around 40 Rupees per hour.

regards

Rajan

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai International Airport.

Assuming your friend is also coming from overseas, it may be better to wait at the airport itself, and travel together. Five hours is not all that long.You can also check if the airport rooms are available-they are limited and allotted on a first come first served basis

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chennai International Airport.

I am fairly sure there is a left luggage office at the airport; there usually is at most Indian airports. If its daytime, a nice trip whilst you wait is to St Thomas's Mount which is just next to the airport, and has nice views and is an old convent. You can spend a few hours up there then come back to the airport.

If its not great weather, then I would recommend u just stay in the airport. There are a few cafes inside both the domestic and international terminatls, but not much else to do.

There is, I think from memory, a Radisson Hotel just near the airport where you could stay, or where you could just go for a meal

7. Re: Chennai International Airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 05:17