We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Mamallapuram

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Mamallapuram

I'll be staying in Mamallapuram for a few nights in the middle of August.

I'm looking for some advice.

Can someone recomend a good place to stay. Cheap, backpacker vibe and close to the beach.

Is there somewhere to rent motorbikes? Maybe an Enfield?

What is the beach like? And the night life?

Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Mamallapuram

there are a lot of backpacker hostels off the main road, most of them not at the beachfront. Check them out when you get there, usually no need to book before.

The beach is mainly used for fishing, but you can relax and swim there too. MP is not exactly the place I would choose for nightlife, but there are some nice traveler hangouts with cocktails, pancake, German bakery and that stuff. I spent there a couple of days in January, you can have a look at my photos at

MP is famous for its stone carvings, you can watch the crafters at work and of course buy their stuff.

Koraput Orissa
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Mamallapuram

There are scores of lodges in the low to mid budget range down towards the beach, check out the rooms and bargain the price down as it is non season. Enfields will be no problem to rent, ask at Nautilus restaurant (run by a Frenchman) opposite Laxmi lodge and he will point you in the right direction.

Along this same street there are a dozen or more lodges to choose from and is as close to the beach as you will get, anything beach front will cost a lot more and if in the fishing colony will be noisy in the very early mornings.

Go for the ground floor rooms as the top floors can turn into ovens at this time of year.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 05:31
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Mamallapuram

You can look on Ideal Beach resort ,Radisson Resort Temple Bay and Chariot Bech resort Etc..If you are looking for Budget Mamala Heritage will Be good option

4. Re: Staying in Mamallapuram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor