We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa barbara
3 posts
Save Topic
Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

We highly recommend K. Govinda of KG Tours as a fabulous driver to take you or your small group all over South India. First, he is an excellent driver. He knows every inch of South India. He is punctual, polite, and speaks good English (some French). You can choose any type of car to meet your needs. The enormous bonus is that he is an encyclopedia of interesting facts---stopping spontaneously to explain plants, show you how things are made, bring you to that festival that only Indians attend. He is truly amazing and reasonably priced. His e-mail is kg.tours@hotmail.com; telephone 011 91 9443790487. For further information, e-mail me at gailshumphreys@gmail.com.

26 replies to this topic
Chennai, India
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Hi locationlaser,

From which city did you start your tour and ended where ?

with regards

Alen_10

santa barbara
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

We started in Chennai with Govinda Samy and ended in Bengalaru. Here are a few of the other main stops: mahabalipuram, Kancheepuram, Ponicherry, Tangivore, Palakkad, Madurai, Idukki, Cochi, Kodungallur, Cheruthuruthy, Beypore, Kozhikode, Kannur, and Mysore. He moved easily through all the language changes in the region, and drove perfectly. Govinda Samy was an excellent driver. Location Laser

santa barbara
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Govinda Samy did a super job in all South India for us--Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerela. If you want the best, someone who does much, much more than necessary, then he's your man.

Gail Humphreys

gailshumphreys@gmail.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

We contacted Govinda at KG tours based on write ups here on TA and we were not disappointed. Although Govinda was unable to drive us through our itinerary, he offered another of his drivers (Viji) -- we were unsure at first about a substitute but Govinda looked after us well. Our driver was well experienced with 13 years of touring the area and spoke good English. We travelled in a Tata Indigo (at our request) which had ample room for 2 or three people with luggage. It was a very clean new model well equipped with AC and a very clean interior. We felt very safe and secure in Viji's hands as we toured over 9 days from Pondicherry to Fort Kochi.

We contacted many other companies in an effort to ensure we got a good car and driver at a fair price. Govinda gave us a fair and all inclusive price at the outset. Others we contacted (around 6 different companies) played games with pricing with limits on mileage, over estimates on kilometres travelled, or placed all tolls and taxes above and beyond quoted prices. Finding the right driver took many hours and lots of discussion and emails. The most expensive quote we received (from a hotel for the same product) was triple the cost we paid here.

I thank Govinda and Viji for looking after us - it made for a very enjoyable time in South India. Govinda's contact details are Kg.tours@hotmail.com.

I am happy to answer questions for people looking for information as this was the hardest or most worrisome part of our planning for our two month trip to India.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

I just read your posts with interest. My husband and I are heading to Chennai for a work function so thought we'd take the week beforehand to have a break and quick look around (unfortunately we can't make it any longer this time). I'm now thinking that flying to Kochi and hiring a car with driver and driving to Chennai would be a good way to do it.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for an itinery, particularly nice places to stay and 'must sees' along the way. We like more historical places to stay, a chance to see the way of life outside cities, would like to see a temple or two, really enjoy culinary treats ;) and are hoping we might indulge in an Ayurvedic massage/treatment.

Driver and car wise I assume I just send an email to KG Tours?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as trip is only a few months away.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Cochin_Chennai a diversion route will take you to Madurai and Tanjore where you could visit Meenakshi temple and Pragadeeswarar temple respectively

Tanjore pragadeeswarar temple was declared world heritage by UN and Meenakshi temple worth visiting as it is spread across 17 acres of land

You could also plan staying at Madurai for 1 day

Karaikudi is small town you could plan from Madurai to Tanjore route, which is famous for chettinad houses

Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

We just got back from a week in Tamil Nadu. We also used kg tours operated by Mr. Govinda. We are also satisfied with his services and are recommending his company to others. Contact posted by thread starter is the valid.

Cheers.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Hi there, how much are the charges?

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

Hi there, how much are the charges?

10. Re: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 13:05

Reply to: Driver Chennai, Cochin/Kochi and all South India
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted