We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip itinerary advise

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Trip itinerary advise

Hi Guys!

I am drafting a Tamil Nadu trip itinerary from 12th to 22nd Dec and need your valuable inputs. Plz also advise if the trip is doable or if it is too hectic. The trip is for my parents (elderly couple) and my sister.

12th Dec - Reach Chennai and rest

13th Dec - Do local Chennai sightseeing (plz advise how to go ahead with this? Is there a reliable and good cab rental agency?)

14th Dec - Day Trip to Pondicherry(Plz help to figure out how to do this and the cost?)

15th Dec - Day trip to Madurai (planning to hire a AC indica cab that also includes Breakfast,Lunch and Shgree Darshan. Any good agency who does it or is there any other easy way of doing it?)

16th Dec - Rest for the day and take a evening train to Madurai. Planning to take Pandian Express leaving Chennai @21:20hrs

17th Dec - Reach Madurai @ 06:20hrs. Check in to the hotel and after breakfast do a local Madurai sightseeing. (Do I need to hire a guide here or is it all at a walkable distance that can be done by ourselves on foot?)

18th Dec - Train to Kanyakumari.Planning to take MS Guruvayur Express that departs at 06:15hrs and reaches Nagercoil Jn (what is this Junction and how to reach Kanyakumari from here?) at 21:40hrs same day.C/In to the hotel and rest for the night.

19th Dec - Kanyakumari Sightseeing (do I need a guide or can we do the place ourselves?)

20th Dec - Train back to Chennai by Kanyakumari Express departing at 17:20hrs and reaching at 06:50hrs next day

21st Dec - Reach Chennai and take evening train back home

I look forward to your inputs.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Hi

13th Dec-TTDC local sightseeing is one option or if you prefer to explore by taxi NTL or bharat or fasttrackcall taxi are some good choices

14th Dec There are buses from CMBT koyambedu to pondicherry avail them or early morning passenger train from Egmore or taxi

when you plan to leave Madurai on 16th why do again want to visit day trip on 15th ?

In madurai kanyakumari guide not needed unless you want in depth details of Meenakshi amman temple

In madurai use auto-rickshaw or local city bus service to visit temples

18th Dec Guruyavur Express leaves from Madurai at 3.30 pm and reaches Nagercoil 9.40 pm from here Kanyakumari is around 15 km use auto rickshaw

Edited: 03 October 2013, 16:16
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Hey sorry for the typo...I wanted to write 15 Dec - Day trip to Tirupati...my bad!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip itinerary advise

I suggest:

12th Dec - Reach Chennai and rest

13th Dec - Chennai to Tirupati and back to Chennai

14th Dec - Chennai sightseeing and drive 2.5hrs to Mahabaliuram.

15th Dec - Sightseeing in Mahab, drive further 2hrs, visit Pondicherry.

16th Dec - Morning Train to Madurai from Villupuram, (erail.in/trains-between-stations/VM-Villupur…) see the Meenakshi temple

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Hi...

Deepa's suggestion is progressive as why go back to Chennai. You may plan an overnight in Pondicherry. For Madurai sightseeing, you would definitely require an auto or cab. While I do not know the exact plan, nothing are in walkable distances and that too with an elderly couple and this much travel, it is not advisable. Would suggest you to prebook the darshan tickets for Tirupathi.

Regards

Prasanna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Thank you all so very much for your input. I plan to exclude Tirupati from trip this time. So the trip goes like this Chennai (2 nights) - Mahabalipuram (1 night) - Pondicherry (2 night) - Madurai ( 2 night) - Kanyakumari (2)- Chennai.

Plz advise if the above trip is doable and if the route is okay.Plus are there AC or regular buses that ply from Chennai-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry?If yes, do I book them online or can we just go to a bus stop to catch them?

Also advise how far is Villupuram station in Pondi?Can we just take a auto rickshaw from the hotel in Pondi and reach there or should I book a cab?

Thanks again for your valuable advise in planning this trip.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Hi...

You may try booking online at www.tnstc.in or you may also try sites like redbus, ticketgoose etc for private operators. Villupuram is some 50 kms from Pondy. So it can only be done by a cab or bus.

The above plan looks ok, but IMPO, the night stay at Mahabalipuram can be avoided, as it can be done as a day trip and can proceed to Pondy, as you might not have much to do in Mahabs. You may go and settle down in Pondy, which might give you a stretch of a break.

Regards

Prasanna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Dear Prasanna, I was also thinking the same now. So I think I will do a day trip from Chennai - Mahabalipuram and take a train next day from Chennai to Pondi. I am not thinking of proceeding from Mahabalipuram to Pondi as I am thinking of hiring the cab for sightseeing for a day trip.

Also Prasanna, sorry to ask again but I am not too clear with the bus part. Is it advisable to book the bus from Villupuram to reach Pondi in advance? Are there any AC radio cabs in Pondi that we can book for the railway transfer?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Hi...

There is a hop on hop off bus being operated by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corpn (ttdc) which covers Mahabalipuram also. You may check that out in their website. I am not quite sure how Pondy is connected by train from Chennai, but there are a few trains. Bus would be a quicker option.

There are regular State Transport Corporation buses between Pondy and Villupuram. You may go to the bus depot and board a bus, booking might not be required as the frequency is high. Cabs may also be booked but depends on the budget.

Regards

Prasanna

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip itinerary advise

pondy is connected via villupuram line only and there is 1 passenger train daily at morning hours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip itinerary advise

Is it advisable to book the train from Chennai to Villupuram and then take a bus to Pondi or take a direct bus from Chennai to Pondi? If the bus option is advisable, where should we go to catch the buses?

Get answers to your questions about Chennai (Madras)