We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai Nov 15th

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Chennai Nov 15th

Hi, can someone please tell me where a nice & safe, kinda cheap place to stay is in Chennai. I hope to be close some restaurants or something to do. I also want some recommendations on how to get from the airport safely to my hotel or hostel. I plan to be there for a few days and then want to head to Varkala. Can someone please tell me how to get there quickly?

Thank you, Krista

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

Hi Krista

A few inputs from you will help us suggest apt options.

- If you put a value to the 'Cheap' either in USD or INR, we can point you to the right places.

- I do see you are a bit concerned about 'Safety' and i guess it is a normal thing to be. There are quite a few safe options for your exit out of Chennai airport and into the city. Depending on your luggage and the time of your arrival, options wary between public transport (bus / train) to private cabs to get you into the city. Do not worry, all of these are pretty safe.

- From your priorities (not too far from the airport but withing some shopping / eating places) i would tend to believe that T.Nagar may be a good option for you to stay for a few days. Maybe you could look for hotels / service apartments around that place depending on your budget. It is also about 25 to 45 minutes away from the airport by a cab, depending on the time of the day you get in.

hope this helps

regards

Rajan

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

Hi...

The fastest way would be to reach Trivandrum from Chennai by flight. It is just an hour and more flight and from the Trivandrum Airport, you may hire a cab. Else, the options are either a bus or a train. The train would take close 15 hrs to reach Varkala and the buses take close to 14 hrs to reach Trivandrum, from where it would be an hours journey to Varkala. Hence, train would be the better option.

Regards

Prasanna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

Thank you for your responses. I will look into flying to Trivandrum from Chennai and take a local bus or cab from there depending on the time of day.

My flight arrives into Chennai at 6:15PM, I hope to spend no more then $30 per night for accommodation and I would prefer to go to a place where other travellers or backpackers will be.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

Hi

Though i cannot vouch personally for the quality of the stay, i have heard that Hotel Palmgrove Chennai is a decent low budget place in the range that you are looking for. However, i'm not sure if the backpackers kind of a crowd is found there.

http://ballalgrouphotels.com/

I'm sure others will pitch in with options for you.

regards

Rajan

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

Presuming INR 2000 per night is what you want to spend, Hotel Maris would be a good option. It is centrally located and clean.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 06:25
6. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 13:35
7. Re: Chennai Nov 15th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18