We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Traditional Clothing in Chennai

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Buying Traditional Clothing in Chennai

Hiho!

My husband and I are visiting South India arriving in Chennai this New Years. I thought that it would be nice to buy a Salwar Kameez (or more :-D) for travelling while we are in India. I have a couple of questions now: As it is for travelling, the Salwar Kameez shouldn't be too fancy or expensive. I had a look around and good street markets/shops seem to be this areas:

- Kothaval Chavady – Flower Bazar area

- Purasawakkam area

Is that right or do you recommend any other places? Also, I'm quite a tall woman (177cm). Will I be able to buy something of the stalls? We didn't plan to stay that long in Chennai to get any tailoring done. I am also not very sure what a normal price for a robust but still nice looking Salwar Kameez is. Any suggestions?

Would I also be able to find a nice looking Saree in these areas? What are the normal price ranges for Sarees?

Many thanks for any answers!

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Traditional Clothing in Chennai

Flower bazaar is an area near parrys. In parrys there are many textile shops if roam around you will get ready made stitched salwar kameez starting from rs.700-800. I think you will get for your height also.

For more variety visit usman road or pondy bazaar at T.nagar.

Even if you do not get ready made salwar kameez , buy material and as most of the reputed shops will have their own tailor you get the material stitched within one or two days.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Traditional Clothing in Chennai

Hi...

The ideal place to have some decent choices would be T Nagar areas such as Usman Road, Ranganathan Street etc. But I would suggest you look at the hypermarkets such as Westside or Pantaloons or Reliance Trends or etc, as they would have the choice of sizes. The best way to go around buying given your more than normal height (comparing to Indian Average) would be to pick up the tops or kurtas that fit you and then mix n match them with suitable leggings which come in free sizes. The regular use kurtis should cost you anywhere between Rs.499 to Rs.1299 depending on the choice you make and tthe leggings would cost you anywhere between Rs.350 to Rs.400. you may pick up some common matching dupattas also, if you need some. The readymade salwars may not suit your height as they also come in one standard free size but the ones in the outlets I have mentioned would have sizes like XS, S, M, L , XL & XXL. You may choose the kurtis which suit your height and then request the outlet to alter the chest and waist as per your specifications and fit, as height would only be a matter of concern in this case. These places also have some designer collections which are Rs.2500 upwards and in case you choose to buy a little grand one also you would have choices.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 26 November 2013, 09:33
3. Re: Buying Traditional Clothing in Chennai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17