We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Vailenkanni

Doha
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Vailenkanni

We are planning to visit Vailenkanni this October with family members.

We are 12 members including children and Senior citizens. We will be travelling from Mangalore.

Kindly guide me which way will be better (road / rail / air) without much stress while travelling since we have kids and elderely folks.

Your reply will be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mangalore
Mangalore
Dakshina Kannada District, India
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

From Mangalore take a flight either to Chennai or Trichy from there book a 12 seater Tempo traveller or Maxi cab or train

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

you can even try train on the mangalore express (if your time suits) till trichy and engage a tempo from there.

Madurai, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

16860 Mangalore - Chennai express goes to Chennai via Trichy and you can get down in Trichy. 56712/Tiruchirapalli - Nagore or 56714 Tiruchirapalli – Karaikal trains will take you to Karaikal or Nagore which is close to Velankanni from where you can take a cab or Tempo. Will be very cost effective.

No direct flight from Mangalore to Trichy - only through Bangalore or Chennai there is flight.

Vikram

Mentioned in this post
Mangalore
Mangalore
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

vikram and voyejeurdnd

The train you mentioned 16860 Mangalore-Chennai express does not have pantry car facility ...so for food they have to rely on food vendors selling inside the train or when the train halts at station...which will be hectic as there are elder people travel so I did not recommend this train

Madurai, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

Hi Alen

Actually, my opinion was from my experience with my old parents. Since they are old people only i recommended this train. All old people very rare to eat outside food or train food even if there is pantry and normally carry own food, which will make this train very convenient.

Vikram

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

Flying from Mangalore to Trichy and then taking a cab is not a good idea at all. First of all there are no direct flights to Trichy.

As the train leaves in the evening and reach Trichy in the morning, pantry is not a big issue. Since, it's only a matter of dinner, you can take some parcels for the night.

So, I think Vikramraju is absolutely right and Veena should think of a train up to Trichy or Nagore and from there you can hire a cab to Velankanni.

Mentioned in this post
Mangalore
Mangalore
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

Hi Jacpaul1

FYI the train 16860 Mangalore-Chennai express leaves Mangalorea at 6.50 am and reaches tiruchy at 9.50 pm..

they need food for breakfast lunch and dinner

I said flight option not only for Tiruchy but Chennai also which is just one flight change in Bangalore

Edited: 08 August 2014, 12:51
Madurai, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

Please check this link, where it says the train departs Mangalore at 16:50 (which is 4:50 PM) and arrives at Trichy at 05:15 AM the next day early morning. So, only Dinner is needed for the old people.

indiarailinfo.com/train/…787

Vikram

Mentioned in this post
Mangalore
Mangalore
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

12654 Tiruchi Express leaves at 04:50 PM and reaches Trichy at 05:15 AM, but this train is operating only on Sundays.

16860 Mangalore – Chennai Express leaves at 06:50 AM and reaches Trichy at 09:24 PM. This is operating every day.

Not withstanding the departure timings, I personally feel that train would be a better idea as there is invariably one flight change at Bangalore or Chennai. Besides, meals is not a big issue as whichever train you take, the main meal is either lunch or dinner.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Vailenkanni

After the original poster veena asked for suggestion...we made 9 replies mentioning our opinions...still OP not responded or acknowledged

withour op further idea there is no point we discuss here....let us see what she feels about our replies

Edited: 08 August 2014, 16:13