We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northeast india safety

mumbai
2 posts
Save Topic
northeast india safety

hi, been planning this great holiday in darjeeling, gangtok and namchi, this dec...now suddenly the safety aspect is dawning on me. is it safe to travel there?pl also let me know how cold it will be...am planning to stay in namchi at the seven hills village resort...any clue abt how it is?

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northeast india safety

I'd check with your local travel agents on the safety aspect in Darjeeling and the surrounding area. There has been a fair amount of unrest in the area but it's not generally aimed at tourists. Check out http://darjeeling.gov.in/ for more info.

Weather in Dec is not too bad, although you will find it much colder than Mumbai! Pack sweaters and other warm clothing for the latter part of the day when the temperature starts to drop. The above website has some more advice on what to pack and places to visit.

Tony

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northeast india safety

I though Brave1 will post here as he is Darjeeling DE, but it seems he is busy somewhere..

Darjeeling is a very popular tourist spot of India. It's safe and there is no unrest. Go & Enjoy !

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northeast india safety

K_Yogi

There are three Darjeeling experts available, anyone of whom will answer to the best of their knowledge!

There has been plenty of unrest in the Darjeeling area of late which is why I suggested that the questioner makes enquiries to establish the situation before travelling. There is plenty of time between now and December for things to change politically in the area. Suggesting that someone "go and enjoy" is not in the best interests of the traveller when there is still uncertainty in the area. It would be hard to enjoy if the travellers found themselves stranded because of a local bandh!

Tony

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: northeast india safety

Twinpurlefish,

I would definitely second what TonyDavies has suggested --while you can make your bookings etc, please keep a watch on the political scenario and definitely make a check before commencing your journey -- possibly by calling the hotels etc to get a latest update.

While it is uncommon for bandhs etc to occur during the peak tourist seasons, there have been few incidents where tourists have sufferred in the hands of the agitationists -- so no harm in being extra careful.

Finally, I would definitely recommend you to have some backup plans --supposing you reach Siliguri/New Jalpaiguri and find your self amidst a Darjeeling bandh, please do have some alternate plans. For your information, there are plenty of awesome forests in North Bengal ( Jaldapara, Garumara, Murti etc) as well as tea gardens, where you can spend quality time. You might also consider going to Sikkim, in case the roads are open etc. Remember, these are just some backup plans, and Iam in no way suggesting that your trip might end up in jeopardy.

Thanks

5. Re: northeast india safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:24