We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Hi all,

I am making plans on going to Gangtok and Darjeeling in the third week of november. Would appreciate if somebody could please advise on the following:

1. Which one of the two (darj. or gangtok) is more peaceful and non commercial? I have four days so I want to spend more time at a place that is more peaceful.

2. Any idea about Mayfair resorts, quality and guest service etc?

3. Are there any polictical issues eg. strikes or violence in both the cities? in other words is it safe to visit?

thanks in advance

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

I've been to both places. Both Darjeeling & Gangtok have their 'commercial' & 'non-commercial' areas. If you want peace & quiet, stay a little away from the town centers & you should be fine. Having said that, I would give Gangtok a slight edge over Darjeeling. Maybe some of the experts can help you more with this.

Both towns are absolutely safe to visit. The people are very friendly & soft-spoken. The only thing you should keep an eye on is the Gorkhaland agitation situation at Darjeeling. There is no way of predicting it before-hand. If there is a strike, there may also be a chance of the highway to Sikkim being blocked, leaving you with no access to Gangtok too.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

The Mayfair resorts are very good. I have stayed at the Mayfair in Darjeeling several times and it ranks among the best hotels in town. The Gangtok Mayfair is a relatively new property. I'm sure it will be excellent too.

Gangtok is the less commercial town among the two, but no one can beat the view of Kanchendzonga from Darjeeling and Tiger Hill. I'd say spend two nights in both.

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard a lot about the beauty of both of these places and currently i have booked two days at each town.

Just a little worried about the strikes.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Mayfair in both the places are the best hotel in all respest. Gangtok is more clean than Darjeeling, though I second the fellow TA friend for his view regarding Kanchenjongha.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Hi, I'm also planning trip to darjeeling and gangtok in Nov'10 end. The trip is planned for 6 nights/7 days. Please recommend breakup b/w darjeeling and gangtok . have heard that Peiling and Yumthung Valley are great places to visit.

please advice.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Why not split it 2 nights Darjeeling, 2 nights Gangtok, 2 nights Pelling ?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

But which are the places to visit near pelling? would it be enough for 2nights/3 days?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Pelling has 2 conducted tours -- the tour of North Pelling and one for South Pelling --both of these can be combined into a single day's programme. So ideally, you can cover the local site seeing for Pelling in a day. However, you need to factor in the transit time from Gangtok to Pelling, which is about 7 hours...which effectively uses up an entire day.

However, Yumthang is highly recommended -- in which case you have to spend 2N in Gangtok, 1N in Yumthang/Lachung, 1N in Gangtok ( on the day you return from Yumthang) and then 2N in Pelling.

Kolkata
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Darjeeling and Gantok both are beautiful but Gantok is more clean and of soothing climate than Darjeeling. Pelling is very beautiful place in North Sikkim. You will enjoy very much. Two days for Darjeeling is enough, but keep in mind the Gorkhaland Problems. There will be no prior forecaste for agitation or Bandh. Sikkim is very much peaceful. I have visited Darjeeling and Gantok, Tsongoo for seven times, Pelling for once. On 24th Dec,10 we are going to Pelling, Gantok, Yumthang again. I also heard for Yumthang, a beatiful place, valley of flowers, switzerland of India. You will enjoy Sikkim very much for its peaceful, calm environment and very good climate. U can stay at Hotel Nathula, a very reasonable hotel at Gantok, Hotel Panchak at Pellimg. Phone no. of Hotel Nathula : 09679708115 (Mr. Bijoy Das) a cooperating person, just tell him Ref. Mrs. Samita Nandy of Techno India Group, Salt Lake. OK. Hope for your Happy Journey

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Darjeeling and Gangtok in November 2010

Hi Anuj,

I recommend the folowing itinerary :

Day 1 : Arr. Darjeeling (from Bagdogra/NJP)

Day 2 : Darjeeling sight seeing (Tiger Hill/ Ghoom Monastery/Batasia Loop)