We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Hi

Can Anybody suggest what would be the precautions & things to remember during the visit same in the month of August 2011 along with my wife & 1+ year infant.

What are the main & must seeing places to visit.

I don't want to go religious places (temple/monestry) , will prefer to visit lake / waterfall sun rising / set & snow- points instead of visiting any religious place.

Regards

Alok

Delhi

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Hi Alok,

August being part of the monsoons, please be sure to mentally prepare yourself for rains accompanied by mist and low clouds. Also do keep a spare day to account for any exigencies due to bad weather and landslides. Be sure to carry your raincoats and definitely drink bottled water.

Regarding the places you want to visit, let us know the duration of your trip and we can work out something. Also there are plenty of itenaries suggested to others which you may use for your planning.

Thank You

New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Hi Debadatt

Thanks for your reply.

Our trip will start from 20th August 2011 as per below schedule.

On 20th August 2011, will reach Bagdogra Airport around 2:30 P.M.

on 25th august 2011, Return flight from Bagdogra around 3:00 P.M.

Planning to spend 3 days at Gangtok & 2 days at Darjeeling , currently I am planning to visit Gangtok first (from 20th evening till 23rd afternoon) than Darjeeling (from 23rd evening till 25th afternoon) ( Can be change if you suggest some better option).

Please also let me know that how long it takes to clear roads( usually) by local authorities due to bad weather and landslides at Darjeeling, like in Himachal Pradesh usually authorities act very quickly on such occasions & clear traffic with in 1-2 Hrs.

What would you suggest ? should we visit first Darjeeling or Gangtok keeping in mind that our return flight is from Bagdogra which is almost on equal distance from both places but I think have better connectivity from Darjeeling instead of Gangtok ?

Can we add Pelling for 1 day in this tour ?

Eagerly waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks/Regards

Alok

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Alok,

You may think of the following itineraries :

20th : Arrival Bagdogra, transfer to Kalimpong, check-in Hotel Silver Oaks.

21st : After lunch - transfer to Gangtok.

22nd : Gangtok - local sight seeing, afternoon : shopping

23rd : Gangtok to Pelling via Ravangla. Check-in Norbughang Resort.

24th : Pelling - Kanchanjongha Water Falls, Khechopalri lake etc.

25th : After breakfast check-out, drive to Bagdogra.

OR

23rd : Gangtok to Darjeeling, afternoon - roaming around Mall.

24th : Darjeeling - Toy train ride upto Ghoom and back. Local sight seeing.

25th : Early morning - Tiger Hill (Sunrise). back to hotel have your breakfast, pack-up & drive to Bagdogra.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 13:11
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Since Alok will be arriving at Bagdogra at 2.30 pm on 20th I don't think he can have lunch in kalimpong on that day !! Also there is no point in taking a detour to Kalimpong just for lunch in case you aren't planning to visit the points of interest. Hence pls plan to go to Gangtok direct from Bagdogra.

I would personally prefer the Darjeeling option over Pelling primarily because of the toy train ride. But choice is yours.

It is very difficult to anticipate how long it would take for the authorities to clear up a landslide - that wud depend on the magnitude of the damage. I would strongly recommend adding a couple of days more to your itenary if possible.

Thank you

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Kalimpong was suggested considering the time of arrival. If the flight lands on schedule, Alok should be reached Kalimpong by 5 p.m. Though, Kalimpong is suggested as stopover, but he will get at least 4-5 hrs to move around. There is nothing much to see in Kalimpong, except the place itself. 4-5 hrs for that is not bad.

There is no sense in travel to Gangtok from Bagdogra after sunset and that too during monsoon.

Of course, everyone can give their opinion, its a matter of acceptance to the traveller.

AshisRoy

Edited: 29 June 2011, 07:31
New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Hi Debadatt / Ashish

Sincere Thanks to both of you for your valuable suggestions

Actually I have baby of age 1-1/2 years old so can't travel continues more than 8-9 Hrs. because my flight is via Guwhati & it will take 3-1/2 Hrs & if I include boarding timing at Delhi so it comes around 5 Hrs. so I think after a 20 -30 minute break at Bagdogra airport we can travel another 3-4 Hrs.

Now Please advise where I have to visit first either Darjeeling or Gangtok keeping mind that my return flight timing is 3:00 P.m on 25th August 2011 & above mentioned reason (Along with infant) & weather conditions.

Please also suggest about best hotels (in combination of service & value for money) , must visit places at Darjeeling & Gangtok & please let me know more about Pelling ?

Your suggestion are absolutely perfect for long trip but as you are aware that we have only 5 days hence please suggest accordingly.

Thanks/Regards

Alok

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Hi Alok,

I would prefer going to Gangtok first and then to Darjeeling. The reason being that there are 3 roads to come to Siliguri/NJP from Darjeeling -- hence even if one road were to be blocked for some reason, you can take the alternate routes. I would suggest that you leave Darjeeling latest by 8am on the date of our departure.

@ Ashish Roy -- Iam not sure if I can follow your last post. Are you suggesting that Alok should reach Kalimpong at 5pm and then have "lunch" and then spend another 4-5 hrs in Kalimpong before proceeding to Gangtok ?

Alternatively, if, as per your admission, there is nothing to visit in Kalimpong, then not sure why you are recommending it ? Iam sure they don't need to visit Kalimpong simply to have lunch - right?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

Alok,

Sorry I missed your point regarding hotels. Please go thru the recent posts in this forum and Iam sure you will find a lot of info about hotels to match your budget.

Thanks

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,637 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

debadatt,

If you read my posts carefully, you'll get the answers. There is no point making arguments without understanding the contents.

AshisRoy

Edited: 30 June 2011, 08:56
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit at Darrjeeling/ Gangtok in 4th week of August

@Ashish Roy,

I am sorry if I hv given the impression that I was getting into an argument with you, which is definitely not the case. On going thru your posts once again,I realize that you were suggesting Kalimpong as an additional stopover - and not a transit point - which was in addition to Alok's requirement. But then that is fine and you are welcome to offer your suggestions.

Sorry for the confusion and apologies if I have hurt you in any way

Thanks