We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling to Varanasi

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Darjeeling to Varanasi

Planning to visit Darjeeling and then on to Varanasi.

Can anyone advise the best way to travel to Varanasi, eg. plane, train car?

Thanks

Denish

Sydney Australia

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Hi Denish,

Best way is train. You have to come to New Jalpaiguri to take a train to Varanasi

The journey time is about 14 to 15 hours. There are 5 trains during the day to reach Varanasi.

For reservation New Jalpaiguri Station Code is (NJP) and for Varanasi Junction station code (BSB)

You can reserve on line on yatra.com, makemytrip.com or irctc.com

Happy Journey

Sanjiv

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,476 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Presently only www.cleartrip.com is accepting bookings on Foreign credit cards. Check for trains between stations as Sanjiv mentioned above on cleartrip.

Alternatively, you can take a flight from Bagdogra airport (IXB) to Delhi, and take a train to Varanasi.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,073 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Denish10

Option 3 : Spicejet flights from Bagdogra (1040 hrs) to Delhi (1420 hrs) and Delhi (1420 hrs) to Varanasi (1545 hrs). Total time 5 hrs 5 min.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 08:34
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,476 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Ashisda,

Something is wrong with the timings you mentioned for Spicejet flight. Both arrival and departure in Delhi cannot be at 1420 hours. I think arrival at Delhi is 1240 hrs.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,073 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Yes Brave1, you are right. It should be 12.40. Thanks for mentioning the typing error.

AshisRoy

Northborough, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

We were supposed to fly from Darjeeling (Bagdogra) to Varanasi on 2/28. Unfortunately, our connecting flight from Kolkata was cancelled, and there is now no reasonable way to fly there.

I found an overnight train that could work for us. However, through Cleartrip.com, when I select "check availability and book", I get "Could not get current availability. Please try again". I'll try again, but I'm wondering if there's something that I need to know. (I do have a Cleartrip account and bought Darjeeling Toy Train tickets already.)

We are looking at alternatives, including hiring a driver to take us. It appears to be approximately 500 miles, and Google Maps says it's approximately a 12 1/2 hour drive. If that's really the case, it's doable in a day (assuming we can find a driver to take us). Does anyone know how long it realistically would take and, if it's not doable in 1 day, is there a way to turn it into a nice 2-day trip?

Help, please!

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,073 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

LeslieRMH,

You may avail Volvo Bus from Siliguri (Close to Bagdogra), the bus starts at 07:00 PM reaches Kolkata at 08:00 AM. Fare Rs.1,200.00. These bses are most comfortable. You may book your tickets on booking.royalcruiser.com/select-bus.php

Hope this would help.

AshisRoy

Edited: 08 February 2013, 07:58
Northborough, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

Thank you, but I am trying to get to Varanasi, not Kolkata.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,073 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

The suggestion was given on the basis of availing flight to varanasi from Kolkata.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 09:35
10. Re: Darjeeling to Varanasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:18