We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

The Local Political party of Darjeeling has called indefinite strike from Saturday 3rd August. So please avoid Darjeeling for following few weeks till it gets resolved.

Sanchit

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Thanks for this important tip, Sanchit! We are planning to visit the Gangtok region after August 20th, would this still affect us then? Hope to hear from you soon! -Germari

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Dear Sanchit ji,

We have booked our travel to Gangtok/Kalimpong/Darjeeling for 5 days from 17th Aug to 22nd Aug through makemytrip. In the wake of recent developements, we are a little freaked out about what could happen if the strike contunies till those dates. All the flight and Hotels are booked and so cancelling the trip altogether might be a disaster. Could you please let us know your opinion on what could be done? Your help is this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sravan.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,345 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Sravan.

Though the post was not addressed to me, still am answering...because you seems in trouble.

Immediately contact MMT and tell them to change your booking to Pelling and Gangtok. If they do your hotel booking, its fine, otherwise, let them cancel Darjeeling bookings and refund your money. Keep the air ticket as it is. After reaching Bagdogra get a cab to Pelling. There are ample of hotels, select as per your choice and budget. Preferably in Upper Pelling. Next destination will be Gangtok, stay there for 2 days at least.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 11:28
Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Thanks Ashis ji for your reply.

The trip details are : 17th - Kalimpong , 18th-19th Gangtok, 20th-21st Darjeeling, 22nd - Travel to airport

The hotels are booked by MMT at all 3 places on the respective dates at Summit Resorts Ltd along with the cab facilities for local sightseeing and travel from/to airport.

The MMT personnel is suggesting that sighseeing might not be possible if there is a bandh, but hotel accomodation will be provided. Although that seems a little disappointing, we are OK as long as the travel to aiport is not effected. In any case, we do not want to miss the return flight.

However, they are suggesting to wait for another week and observe the developements.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,345 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

They (MMT) must be crazy !! I don't see any hope as such.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 12:31
J W
Denver, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

My friend and I were planning on visiting Darjeeling August 28th-31st. We are making our bookings right now. Do you think we would be affected?

How long does a bandh usually last? What happens? From my understanding all of the shops in town close and all of the workers do not report to work.

Help?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Hi Sravan

Sorry couldn't reply earlier. But Mr. Ashis has explained you very well. Just simply ask for refund for the Darjeeling sector and plan out your trip in Sikkim sector.

Its no point in waiting for another week.

Sanchit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Hi Germari

Greetings

There will be no problem in the Sikkim leg. Its a different state and strike for Gorkhaland will not affect Sikkim.

Have a nice trip

Cheers

Sanchit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

Hi JW

Its indefinite strike from Saturday. Nobody knows how long it will continue but for the time being as of now its totally not advisable to plan anything over there. So better avoid it.

You can plan to Sikkim at that period. Its very beautiful but there are some restricted places in sikkim where you need special permission but you can go to Gangtok and Pelling.

Cheers

Sanchit

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indefinite Strike In Darjeeling from Saturday 3rd August

HI Ashis,

I have planned to come to Darjeeling by Sep 3. As there is call for strike now. IS it better to go to Gangtok?

if so, my stay time is from 3rd sep to 7th sep.(from bagdogra airport) can you please suggest me a hotel below 2500rs and an good itenary