We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

Level Contributor
69 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

Planning a trip for someone to go from Kolkata to Darjeeling. I know the overnight trains all stop at NJP and you have to take either the toy train or the bus/car to Darjeeling. I want to know in terms of comfort which overnight train would be the best? I saw in terms of seat availablity the codes show 2A, 3A and SL. Could someone please elaborate what they are? I am keen on a sleeping berth in the best possible class with AC. The planned travel date is 11th of April so any advice early on would be a big help.

Thank you!

Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

The best train that you can avail of is either darjeeling Mail or Padatik Express. they both depart from Sealdah. 2A means 2nd class AC // 3A means 3rd Class AC // SL means simple sleeper class.

You can book either 2A or 3A as it will be hot now in Kolkata so AC will be much suitable during this time.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

2ac 3ac and slesper means 2 tier AC 3 Tier Ac and sleeper (without ac) .Among these 2ac is most comfertable and then 3ac.From NJP you have to take cab to darjeeling.You can have share or reserve both from NJP.For bus you have to go Silliguri bus terminus.Toy train mow a days not run between NJP/Siliguri to darjeeling.It only runs between Darjrrling and kerseong.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

The most popular and convenient train to reach njp is Darjeeling Mail. The other options are Kanchenkanya exp, padatik exp and garib rath. Darjeeling mail leaves hwh at around 10 in the night and reaches njp in the morning. You will have plenty of time to reach your destination after that and you won't waste a day. The most comfortable AC class is AC FIRST after that the AC 2 tier or 2AC is there. Garib rath has only AC 3 tier. So you may want to chose from these options. All of them leave at night and reach in the morning.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 13:10
4. Re: Best overnight traing from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:15