We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the festival of Durga pooja

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
the festival of Durga pooja

Any one knows the dates of the festival of Durga pooja in Kolkata this year?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Hi Peter,

The preparations for the festival begins a week before with a day called Mahalaya, and ends with Laxmi Puja a few days after Durga puja. But Durga Puja itself lasts for about 5 days, this year its from 24th to 28th Sept.

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Thanks brave1,

A shame we miss it!

Any festival going in the period end October first week November in Kolkata or driving distance from Kolkata?

There was also mentioned to visit Shantiniketan when we are in Kolkata, looks like we should stay overnight in the area if we go, you know more about Shantiniketan?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Peter,

Shantiniketan is associated with India's greatest poet and literary icon Rabindranath Tagore. It's about a 2-hour trip from Calcutta straight on the highway. There is also an express train service.

If I may I recall, the government of West Bengal runs a conducted tour for tourists to Shantiniketan. There are also private tours available from travel agencies. Also, the West Bengal government maintains a tourist lodge there. Their prices are more reasonable but you may not get the amenities available from other private hotels/lodges.

By western standards, there are hardly any 3-4 star hotels available there. But given the ideal that Shantiniketan stands for one doesn't go there for luxury. However, you would still like to have a clean and safe place.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Gadfly

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Kolkata during durga Puja is a very very different experience.... very joyous, very charged time....

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Personally, my experience of Shantiniketan is limited and I would not venture to give advice about it. But I can tell you that I stayed in the Mark & Meadows resort and it was quite good, possibly the best you will find in the area. They can also help you arrange sightseeing.

http://www.markandmeadows.com/

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
245 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

Kali Puja is on 17th Oct. 2009

India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

First week of November will be lovely weather in Shantiniketan. I think it will be a superb experience to spend few days there. Travel the nearby places and just enjoy the solitude. There is a new Home Stay namely Country Roads. I am told, the comfort there is 3 star whereas tariff is very reasonable. You can check www.countryroadshomestay.com. You will get all info there.

8. Re: the festival of Durga pooja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)