We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
26 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

Husband and I plan to go to Kolkata 10-26 Feb 2011 to visit daughter who is volunteering there. We would like to visit the Taj Mahal and Varanasi. Any ideas on how best to do this ?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

Hi,

You have to fly to Delhi from Kolkata and take a car or train to the Taj Mahal in Agra. There are direct trains from Kolkata to Varanasi, I suppose you could take a train to Varanasi first, and then go on to Delhi by flight or train for the Agra trip. Its going to be a 5 day trip at a minimum unless you fly, in which case its a minimum 3 days programme. There is quite some distance involved in between the cities.

Check flights trains at www.cleartrip.com

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

<take a car or train to>

I have a slightly different take on the Delhi-Agra trip-we have done that by air, road, and, the last time, by the satabdi Express train-I would take the last option, the airconditioned chair cars are comfortable, and, best of all, absolutely safe. Road travel in India isn't the safest way to travel any more. You can take the train the morning and return to Delhiin the evening, the same. Of course, if you want to see the Taj in moonlight, you should stay overnight.

Dublin
Level Contributor
26 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

thanks very much for taking the time to reply.....

Agra, India
Level Contributor
669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

use train for long distance travellling and use car for local sightseen and from agra there is train to varanasi .

remember tajmahal is closed on friday..

shujat

5. Re: advice welcome on trips from Kolkata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)