We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bengali New Year help

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Bengali New Year help

April 14th is the New Year and I want to send flowers to friends in Kolkata. I have two questions.

1. Are gladiolus and roses appropriate?

2. Do I say Happy Naba Barsha or what?

Thank you for your help.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bengali New Year help

Hi,

To answer your question, flowers mentioned are fine, but most Bengali households would prefer Indian sweets. If you are using a India based service, see if you can send Indian sweets. If not, flowers will do.

2. The correct Bengali term is Subho Naba Barsho.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bengali New Year help

Thank you brave1 for your quick response. I was going to order via international teleflorist, however if you think sweets would be better, I am happy to send them. Can you advise on what sweets as I have no idea. I do not know if I could use an Indian based service or not?

Once again, thank you.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bengali New Year help

Hi,

Bengali sweets are hard to find online, but Rasgollas are a safe choice. See here for example

www.giftstoindia24x7.com/Gifts.aspx…

Don't worry too much about the product. I'm sure your friends will appreciate the thought behind it rather than the product itself.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bengali New Year help

Another site for you to look at. They seem to have a wider selection of sweets.

http://www.giftssendtokolkata.com/sweets.htm

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,467 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bengali New Year help

cgw1

Rose will be perfect choice for Bengali New Year. You may write 'Subho Nabo Borsho'.

AshisRoy

Edited: 11 April 2012, 12:49
Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bengali New Year help

Thank you brave1 and AhisRoy.

I did check out gitstoindia 24/7, but saw bad reviews, so was hesitant to use them.

The other site indeed has more sweets, but I do not see a variety box and being I have no idea of what they prefer would rather not do this.

Was thinking that 1stinflowers.com might be a better option?

Is it Subho Nabo Borsho or Subho Naba Barsho?

Thank you

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bengali New Year help

<Is it Subho Nabo Borsho or Subho Naba Barsho>

Either is fine as the Bengali pronunciation would be the same.

I have no idea about giftstoindia, but I am a member of this site below and do use it from time to time without any problem. When you try to enter the site it gives a warning, but the site is safe as I have been using my credit card on this site for over 2-3 years now.

https://indiaplaza.in/motichoor-laddoo-box-s…

Then again, you might want to go for the flowers if this process appears complicated to you. Like I said, its the thought that counts.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bengali New Year help

Sorry brave1, I completely missed your suggestion of Rasgollas as a safe choice. Duly noted now.

I went to indiaplaza and they have a lovely selection, but for some reason the "buy" button does not work at all. Will try again.

Thank you

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bengali New Year help

cgw1,

Try with a different browser, like Google Chrome, if you have it installed. I sometimes have problems with the Buy button as well on Firefox.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bengali New Year help

brave1, I did try with Google, but no luck. I went back to the giftstoindia24x7 site and selected a mug and an arrangement of flowers to be delivered tomorrow. I realize that the New Year is not until Saturday, but did not want to take any chances of it not getting there on time.

Many thanks for your help.