We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Shopping etc

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Shopping etc

Not sure if I will get replies to this questions on this forum but doesn't hurt to ask :-

What would be good stores in New Market for: 'Gaye Holud' decoration and are there any home decoration stores that would carry a large selection of charger plates, votives and napkin rings?

Shopping in the summer heat takes a lot of effort. Trying to pre-plan to save some time and energy.Thanks in advance. :)

Mentioned in this post
New Market
New Market
673 Reviews
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Shopping etc

For items relating to Gaye Holud ceremony, Gariahat market is a better place to go than New Market. What you require is a Dashkarma Bhandar, and there aren't any in the New Market-Park Street area. You will find those in Gariahat, Hatibagan or College Street Market.

The Napkin rings, charger plates etc you will find in the party supply shops at the back end of New Market.

If you need further help, let me know.

Mentioned in this post
New Market
New Market
673 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Shopping etc

Thanks once again for all the helpful tips! My dad says Gariahat and Hatibagan are about 2-3 miles from New Market ?

Mentioned in this post
New Market
New Market
673 Reviews
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Shopping etc

Hi,

Yes by metric measures, Gariahat is about 4-5 KM, Hatibagan around the same or a little more. Gariahat is more upmarket than Hatibagan. You can hire a car for day (8 hours/ 80 KM ) and plan to go there from Peerless Inn. The distance isn't much, but the traffic is very slow and it will take you 30 minutes to an hour in peak traffic to reach either place.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Shopping etc

Hi Brave 1!

I want to do wedding shopping in Kolkata... punjabi wedding though, where would be the best place to go? I'm looking at buying suits, costume jewellery, etc...

Mentioned in this post
Kolkata
Kolkata
2 Reviews
5. Re: Wedding Shopping etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:16